Bathroom basin fixing to drill damaged wall...

SF

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I have a problem trying to fix the bathroom basin to the wall. The previous basin was fixed using a bracket which required 3 holes. Now where I need to drill is smack bang in the middle of these holes, and any more drilling in the area is going to weaken it... does anybody have any advice as to repair the wall? I'm thinking cutting a chunk out of the wall and filling it with concrete or a breeze block, or using a metal brace flush in the plaster and fixed to the wall, and therefore using drill holes in that to fix the basin to. Another is cutting a chunk out of the plaster and replacing it with aqua-board and using plaster-board fixings to hold the basin in place.

Please, let me know if that all sounds Mr Bean-like and tell me of a better idea if you know of one.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Depending on the spacing of the holes and if they're very messy you could core drill out where the original holes are to a decent depth - 75mm or so, don't go through to the cavity if an external wall - and then point in with a decent mortar mix.
Would be better to move your WHB to one side to fix into virgin masonry but if that really isn't possible you should be able to get away with plug & screw into the new mortar patch. Give it a good week to cure properly before drilling though though or the holes will elongate and the plugs won't grab fully.
You don't want the basin to fall off so if the new basin is quite large you may have to bite the bullet and chip the plaster off and replace the damaged masonry / blockwork with a new section to do it properly and be on the safe side.

Thanks Simoniris... that sounds great. The basin has a pedestal so should be fine. Any more tips as to what would consist of a decent mortar mix? Anything ready-made at B&Q etc. (lazy me)

You're more than welcome.
Not sure about B&Q but Watco [mail order] do all sorts.
Quite pricey but they seem to have a ready mixed pot of something for every eventuality!
Buying a bag of sand and a bag of cement to patch a couple of holes will feel like a waste - although will be a lot cheaper than using a ready mixed product! If unsure as to mixing cement go for the ready mixed repair compounds
Rgds, Simon

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back