Bathroom/Boiler Repacement - when do I tile?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon All,

My boiler is being replace with a combi.
The plumber needs to run a new pipe into the bathroom.
As the bathroom needs replacing anyway, I've bought a new suite and he said he'll fit that at the same time seeing as its easier to work with nothing in the way etc.

My question is when do I re-tile? Before or after?
The bathroom is tiled floor to ceiling.
Sounds like a stupid question now. SHould I remove the old ones before the plumber comes?

Sponsored Links
Afternoon All,

My boiler is being replace with a combi.
The plumber needs to run a new pipe into the bathroom.
As the bathroom needs replacing anyway, I've bought a new suite and he said he'll fit that at the same time seeing as its easier to work with nothing in the way etc.

My question is when do I re-tile? Before or after?
The bathroom is tiled floor to ceiling.
Sounds like a stupid question now. SHould I remove the old ones before the plumber comes?
Hi,
I would def remove old tiles first as you dont know what state the walls are in under them (may need filling/plastering etc.Once this is done (walls properly prep etc) and allowed to dry out if plastering is required then def tile before new suite is fitted you will end up with a much nicer finish (no nasty cuts etc and much more of an easy job).As for the area where the new boiler is going ask the plumber what he thinks most boilers have a cover which can be fixed last so it will just be a case of tiling enough of the wall so the cover will hide the end of the tiling.If i tile bathrooms for customers and boiler is already fitted then i always do this looks spot on after.
Hope this helps :D

Hi,
I would def remove old tiles first as you dont know what state the walls are in under them (may need filling/plastering etc.Once this is done (walls properly prep etc) and allowed to dry out if plastering is required then def tile before new suite is fitted you will end up with a much nicer finish (no nasty cuts etc and much more of an easy job).As for the area where the new boiler is going ask the plumber what he thinks most boilers have a cover which can be fixed last so it will just be a case of tiling enough of the wall so the cover will hide the end of the tiling.If i tile bathrooms for customers and boiler is already fitted then i always do this looks spot on after.

Thanks for your reply Top Tiler!
I was definitely going to remove the tiles on the outer walls(2 of 4 walls).
Not sure about internal its going to leave a right mess of the plaster board.

Are you saying tile before new bathroom suite is installed?

E.g.
1)Remove old tiles (what about those behind crapper and basin?)
2)Take out suite.
3)Whilst plumber is doing boiler - re-tile (or get someone to do it). Some I wont be able to as he's running pipes in external wall for shower.
4) Fit new suite

Hi,

Thanks for your reply Top Tiler!
I was definitely going to remove the tiles on the outer walls(2 of 4 walls).
Not sure about internal its going to leave a right mess of the plaster board.

Are you saying tile before new bathroom suite is installed?

E.g.
1)Remove old tiles (what about those behind crapper and basin?)
2)Take out suite.
3)Whilst plumber is doing boiler - re-tile (or get someone to do it). Some I wont be able to as he's running pipes in external wall for shower.
4) Fit new suite
Hi,
without seeing the room i would
1)remove all the tiles you can so walls can be prep if req
2)plumber fit boiler but see if it has a cover that can be fitted after you have tiled plus let him run all other pipework etc
3)remove old suite and last few tiles (behind crapper etc) prep walls if req
4)tile the lot ! and either cut around pipes for boiler or tile in as close as you can so the boiler cover hides where the tiles end cut around all other pipes etc
5)fit new suite and boiler cover
hope this makes sense difficult to give advice without seeing it but the point i was trying to make is it will be a much nicer job if the new suite is fitted after the tiling :D

Sponsored Links
Andy,
If the old tiles are too difficult to remove and start making a mess of the plasterboard, it is much easier to remove all the plasterboard and replace with new sheets.It's all over and done with.Just tape and fill the joints,nothing fancy,and then retile.You might be lucky with the solid walls,sometimes tiles come off of them no problem,if not, they're easily patched with plaster.

Roughcaster.

I was told to fix the bath and/or shower tray before tiling, and everything else afterwards.

I was told to fix the bath and/or shower tray before tiling, and everything else afterwards.
It depends on the type of bath/shower etc you are installing. Your contractor (if he is a good one) will help you make the right choices.Toilets, sinks etc that have to be cut in look AWFULL ! compared to a suite that is fitted over the top of tiling plus if anything gets damaged then when you remove it you end up having to try and get new that is EXACTLY the same size as what you have removed.
:eek: :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back