Tiling bathroom walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I will be tiling a friends bathroom, which will be in use every evening, so cannot be left out of use. He will be replacing the bathroom suite at some time.

My question:

- Should I wait until he has had the new suite fitted, then tile up to and around the new basin and cistern , or

- Temorarily disconnect the current cistern and basin, tile behind them, and refit them, until he replaces them with new.

I seems wrong to me not to have a tiles continuously on the wall behind these fixtures in terms of appearance.
Any other suggestions?
I would appreciate your advice and comments

Thanks
Ray

Sponsored Links
Firstly it would help if you posted the correct forum, I've asked for it to be moved to Tiling.

Always strip out the sanitary ware before tiling, a bare room is best that way it should be over & done with in 2 days; tiling around everything over complicates things & is a complete bodge. If you fit service valves to all water supplies, it’s’ relatively easy to put things back in place temporarily but your friend will have to accept that the bathroom will be out of action for some of the time. If any shower areas are involved, they should not be used for 2 weeks in any case; does this job involve the floor as well?

From the nature of your post, I would advise you read the tiling sticky & Forum archive posts to avoid making potentially disastrous mistakes with both your prep & the materials you use. By all meas come back with questions if you have them

Hi Richard

Thanks for asking my post to be moved - I think I must have had a brainstorm that day. :oops:

I have actually done quite a lot of tiling in the past, kitchens and batrhroom, but I'm trying to convince someone else that the correct way is to remove the sanitaryware beforehand.

Your comments are most helpful in this regard.

Thanks

Ray

Sponsored Links
fit isolators and each piece of sanitary ware can be removed individually allowing for the work to be done correctly instead of half ar sed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back