Bathroom bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I took my bath out last night in readiness for a new installation. The pipework requires alteration and the Cold water pipework was earthed very close to the tap of the bath.
For ease and speed I have removed a section of the hot and cold copper pipework and replaced with plastic therefore breaking the continuity of the copper pipework.
I believe the circuit board has RCD's and the only electrical item in the bathroom is the light fitting (switch located in hall way)
My query is in short do i need to relocate the earth to the existing piece of copper pipework and then ensure continuity by supplementary bonding?

I realise there have been many similar posts, any advice greatly appreciated.[/img]

Sponsored Links
I took my bath out last night in readiness for a new installation. The pipework requires alteration and the Cold water pipework was earthed very close to the tap of the bath.
Bonded - Not earthed

For ease and speed I have removed a section of the hot and cold copper pipework and replaced with plastic therefore breaking the continuity of the copper pipework.
I believe the circuit board has RCD's and the only electrical item in the bathroom is the light fitting (switch located in hall way)
My query is in short do i need to relocate the earth to the existing piece of copper pipework and then ensure continuity by supplementary bonding?
Bond - Not earth.

Probably not, but it won't hurt.

If the bath is metal and it does NOT have a metal waste - it will now be isolated so do NOT bond it.
Remove the wire if it is already bonded.

Bath is acrylic wast is plastic. What about the hot water feed that is bonded at the sink in the bathroom. Same situation applies with regards to replacement of section of copper pipe with plastic, however I am sure the copper pipework continues down to the kitchen.

if consumer unit is rcd, and the mains for gas and electric are bonded by 16mm earth wire to consumer unit, then supplementary bonding is no longer required. You can choose to have supplemetary bonding if you wish to do so. Hope this answers your question.

Sponsored Links
if consumer unit is rcd, and the mains for gas and electric are bonded by 16mm earth wire to consumer unit, then supplementary bonding is no longer required. You can choose to have supplemetary bonding if you wish to do so. Hope this answers your question.

16mm main equipotential bonding?

if consumer unit is rcd, and the mains for gas and electric are bonded by 16mm earth wire to consumer unit, then supplementary bonding is no longer required. You can choose to have supplemetary bonding if you wish to do so.
Providing disconnection times are met!
and it's 16mm earthing conductor and 10mm for bonding conductors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back