Suplementary Bonding in Bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If polyester sheathed flexible tap connectors are used to connect a bath to copper pipe work, does this effectively create the same conditions as using plastic pipework or is supplementary bonding still required?

Sponsored Links
The supplementary bonding is required at the point where the metal services enter the bathroom (or just outside. e.g. in an adjacent airing cupboard). If you have a piece of plastic pipe joined on inside the bathroom, it doesn't matter - you have already bonded the pipe before that point.

Although some people do it, it is not necessary to bond the same pipe several times - e.g. the cold pipe at the cold basin tap, and the cold bath tap, and the cold bidet tap, and the WC cistern inlet.

Hi John D, are you sure about that? I thought equipotential bonding in the bathroom had to be done to all exposed metal fittings.Even the light fitting has to be bonded now as far as I know.

Sponsored Links
Yes, I am sure.

Each metal pipe that enters the bathroom has to be bonded to the CPC (earth wire) of each electrical circuit that enters the bathroom.

This only needs to be done once for each circuit and once for each pipe.

That means that the lighting circuit, and therefore both the light switch and the light fitting, are included.

Once you have done this, a metallic fitting will either be (1) connected to one of the things you've already bonded (like a tap is) or not connected to either a pipe or a circuit (like a coat hook, a soap dish or a shirt hanger) so it doesn't need to be bonded.

This follows on from a previous thread; all services pipe work is bonded & looped back to C/U (main equipotential bonding); supplementary bonding has been added to the same services pipes in the airing cupboard - approx 8m of pipe run away outside the bathroom.

Dingbat previously advised that if resistance between the CPC’s of circuits in the bathroom zones exceeded 0.05 ohms, supplementary bonding would be also required in the bathroom itself. After getting hold of a more accurate meter, I have now measured the resistance at 0.3-0.4 ohms between the pipe work & 2 the other circuits in the bathroom so I assume this means I need to provide additional supplementary bonding in there?

So, can you guys advise if I am I correct in saying what I need to do now is bond the ceiling light fitting to the wall mirror light fitting to the H/C pipe work under the sink to the CH radiator pipe work? But once only i.e. I don’t have to then daisy chain to the bath & cistern pipe work as the same pipes are already bonded at the sink unit?

Getting a little confused but still trying!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back