bathroom bulb exploded - new fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced a bulb in my bathroom plastic light (basic three spotlights) - I noticed the bulb was difficult to screw in and next day switched light on and it exploded - glass everywhere. The only other light in the bathroom is an over the shower downlight fitted a few years ago when we had bathroom done. Both come on from the pull switch.

Anyway I couldn't get the base out so I've removed old fitting and intend to replace. Lots of wires but it looks simple, there is a final connector block with 2 wires which was then wired in to the live and neutral of the light fitting. Only thing I've found odd is that there was no connection to the earth and the earth wires are just pushed up into void. I can't see that the old fitting was marked double insulated.

Has this been fitted wrong from my description? Should I buy a double insulated fitting and then just wire up using existing wiring, or should I be asking an electrician to look - bothers me that no earth connected originally although a friend tells me this is very common.

Advice appreciated (pressure to get new light up asap as visitors tomorrow...)

Sponsored Links
If the fitting is not marked as double insulated then it must be earthed. It will probbaly have an earth terminal - that's a giveaway.

DIY installers often ignore this important point.

If your new fitting needs an earth then you'll need a new wire from the connected earths to the fitting. You should test that it really is earthed using a test meter or test indicator.

Thanks for that, much appreciated. Have checked the shower downlighter which is double insulated - think I'll buy a double insulated replacement for the existing light - seems the best option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back