Bathroom Lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a problem with our bathroom lighting. It was not switching on properly, so I assumed it was the pull switch, which I replaced. However, I now realize that the problem is that the actual light fitting is shorting against the bulb, replacing the bulb has solved the problem somewhat (it works more often and does not flicker so much). The old bulb has a sort of build up on the connectors, obviously caused by condensation reaching it. Can anyone suggest a bathroom light fitting that would resist condensation entering this part of the fitting? (links if poss). Is it dangerous?

Also, whilst replacing the switch I found what seems to be very old wiring, the earth is just a length of copper sitting between the other wires rather than an enclosed green/yellow that I expected? Does this need replacing?

Sponsored Links
Is the wiring in a grey covering? the earth is probably not sleeved(a lazy sparks) Bathroom lights can be obtained from most sheds or retailers with a glass cover to prevent condensation.

The old bulb has a sort of build up on the connectors, obviously caused by condensation reaching it
Nope, its caused by arcing, which in turn is caused by loose connections between the lamp (bulb) and the fitting, though I would expect moisture in the air to cause more arcing than would otherwise occur with this problem. The moisture in itself is not normally a problem.

Can anyone suggest a bathroom light fitting that would resist condensation entering this part of the fitting? (links if poss).
Most DIY stores sell lighting suitable for bathrooms. But see above. Most fittings - unless IP rated - will not prevent condensation ingress to the connectors, as this is normally not a problem.

Is it dangerous?
The bad connection will cause undue heating and could be a fire risk.

Also, whilst replacing the switch I found what seems to be very old wiring, the earth is just a length of copper sitting between the other wires rather than an enclosed green/yellow that I expected? Does this need replacing?
Probably not. Our house is wired in black/red with bare earth, its called twin and earth, and is widely used in domestic and commercial wiring. Though since 2005 the colours have been blue and brown.

The bare earth is normally sleeved at the terminations. You can buy lengths of green and yellow sleeving to this effect.

However, if the 3 cores run into a sheath which is black or appears rubbery, start worrying. This WILL need replacing.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back