Ceiling light problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm attempting to fit a new ceiling light (B&Q Futura) in the bathroom. The original light had no earth wire connected, but after stripping back further I found a bare copper wire (presumably the earth).
I connected up the 3 wires to the new light, put the bulb in and turned the power back on - but no light!
I've tried a different bulb and have reconnected the old 2-wire light which works.
Any other ideas, before I return the light.

Thanks in advance
Mark

Sponsored Links
can you describe the light fitting?
does it have push in connections, takes screw in lamps, low voltage or anything else that is prone to go wrong?

Hi,
Thanks for the replies.

The light's got a 3-wire terminal block (push in and screw connection for the supply wires - pretty sure i got this bit right..).

The bulb is one of the 2 pin 9 watt energy saving bulbs.

Cheers,

Mark

Sponsored Links
We need to know what wires that are coming from the ceiling void ie colours and numbes and what marks are on the position on the terminal block on the fitting, to be able to help you best.

Do you have a normal switch or a dimmer?

What sort of light is the original? (Surely it can't be what I'm wondering, but nothing would surprise me any more.... :confused: )

Hi,

The supply wires are the old style black and red and a bare copper wire for the earth. I connected these up to the blue, brown and yellow/green respectively in the terminal block.

Ban-all-sheds - I'm intrigued. It's a normal pull cord switch in the bathroom. The old wires (no earth) push directly into a metal connector on the back the light-bulb unit.

Not sure if it's relevant but I live in building that was converted to flats in the early 1980's.

Cheers,

Mark

It doesn't directly address the problem you have, but if the earth wire was cut back in the original fitting, and there are no earth wires present at the switch, I would be concerned about the earth continuity of your installation. Can you prove continuity of the earth connection?

If there is no continuity, it doesn't necessarily mean you can't change your light fitting, but it would limit your choices to a double insulated fitting that doesn't require an earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back