Bathroom cabinet hanging suggestions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi folks,

I’m hanging a bathroom cabinet to be centred above sink and between the lights as shown in the image. Trouble is only one stud is behind the cabinet. These are lath and plaster walls in an 1880s house so wouldn’t take the weight without going into studs. Cabinet weighs 17kg.

What would you guys suggest?
I did think about cutting into the wall and running a noggin between the studs but the cabinet won’t cover where I’d need to attach to the stud on the right. Don’t want to make a mess of the wall.
I then thought about a galvanised steel plate that wasn’t too thick on the surface of the wall (like a joining plate with lots of holes) but don’t see any wide enough. I thought if it was wide enough to go between the cabinet fixings (red in picture) and high enough that I could put several screws into the left stud that would sort of cantilever the weight...
cheers

Attachments

• 7E1B6A48-0289-45E5-9FFD-8328C5EE34C1.jpeg
    7E1B6A48-0289-45E5-9FFD-8328C5EE34C1.jpeg
    154.7 KB · Views: 303
Sponsored Links
Noggin is the best idea , make a hole where the cabinet is going to go , slot in a noggin and put the screws in at an angle to secure it to the studs

You could use cabinet hanging rail, as used for kitchen cabinets. Preferably get a couple of screws near the middle into the stud, to take the weight, and one or more near each end just to steady it.

If you can bear to have it show, you could extend it sideways to reach the studs to one or both sides, which would be much stronger. I think I would screw it to the right-hand stud and find some way to conceal it.

s-l225.webp
s-l225.webp

Sponsored Links
Hope that makes sense!
Yup- perfect sense. Thanks

If you can bear to have it show...
Mrs will never go for that! :D

Seems like the noggin is the most logical option. I’m cautious because the left side fixing is probably just past the stud so initially I was thinking of cutting out the laths and mounting a plank onto the face of the studs. Which means cutting the wall on the right where it’ll be seen & I’d have to repair. Maybe I’ll put a noggin and attach on the right as sircerebus says but add a block on the left to make sure the fixing has something to grab.

I did have another thought- probably less logical!
Because the room is top floor, and the room next door has a different ceiling height (mad Victorians!) I can see the top 2 1/2 feet of the studs in the attic. I wondered if I could ‘sister’ the studs by feeding a baton into the wall void and affixing well at the top.
Is that insane? :LOL:

You mean make make a u shaped frame , drop it down into the wall and screw it to the studs at the top?

That would work and save you punching holes in the wall should you want to change the cabinet in the future

You mean make make a u shaped frame , drop it down into the wall and screw it to the studs at the top?

That would work and save you punching holes in the wall should you want to change the cabinet in the future
Not even necessarily u shaped- just a baton on the left of each stud to make them wide enough to catch the fittings.

Although, now you’ve said it, the bottom of the u shape would mean I had a fixing point for any future cabinet, mirror or whatever I’m told to hang there in future! (y):D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back