Bathroom Ceiling Fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a bathroom ceiling fan which is constantly running, lights on or off. There is a switch which increases the speed outside the bathroom door. Lately the fan has become extremely loud and we are not sure what it is or what to do with it.

Sponsored Links
It's probably full of dust or the bearings have either worn out or need a drop of oil. Is there an isolator switch to turn off the power to the fan while you check it over?

I am not sure how to get to it, I removed the grate but I can just see an extractor pipe. I am guessing I would have to go through the loft?

It sounds like an in-line fan. Something like this…..
XPBX100PLUSCT.JPG

All you have in the ceiling is the grill.
So the extractor itself will be up in the loft, somewhere.

PS picture shows the type with an integral lamp. Yours does not have this.

Sponsored Links
Thank you. I purchased some ladders to have a look
and it looks quite tricky to get to as we have no flooring. I've tried posting the job multiple times online for a repair but nobody seems interested unless I pay £500-£600 which I feel is way to much.

1. We didn't need a guided tour of your loft.
2. A photo of the fan itself would have been sufficient.
3. You can get to that fan by clearing away some insulation so you can walk or crawl on the joists. For a working platform chuck some plywood or boards down.

It's a simple enough job to do yourself, just get to the fan (as above, use ply or just find the joists)

Replace with one of these. (or a timer model if yours stays on after you turn the light off) All you have to do is turn the power off, make a note of the connections on the old fan, replicate on the new fan. Remove ducting from old fan, connect to new fan. Screw the new fan to the joist.

You may need to do those things in a different order depending on how yours is arranged. You're talking an hours work for you tops. Less for an electrician.

If you don't want to do it, try calling some local electricians, rather than posting on job sites.

I'd do it for a lot less than £500-600, but seeing as the fans run anywhere from £60-100, bare that in mind when people give you prices

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back