Bathroom design in a tight space

LEH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want/have to update our bathroom (since moving in we've discovered the floor is wrecked due to water and bodged installations).

Due to budget I want to do most of it myself.

Most of it I'm fairly clear about after doing some research but I'm a bit stumped about how to put the sink and toilet. Ideally I'd like a run of a vanity unit and WC unit with a worktop above it so that it doesn't look so cobbled together. But if you look at the photo below you'll see we have the soil stack running down the corner where the WC unit would go. Anyone have any smart ideas on how to lay out against this wall?

The second photo is of a similar space with something a bit like what I had in mind-they should also have a soil stack but I'm not sure where it is - it looks like the external wall is quite thick and possibly studded out so it's all behind the wall?

30461_2103279_IMG_08_0000.jpg
ddcda94ca3eb6ce210262fe3d770bf6a0ab03ce0.jpg

Sponsored Links
you have internal soil stack , the other pic has external . I doubt you have the space between your bath and the soil stack to fit both cabs. what is the measurement between them.?

That's what I presumed, but I can't see a stack at the back of their property.

In any case: I've got 995 mm between bath and the boxing of the soil stack...

I see you mentioned 995mm side of bath-boxing but what is the measurement side of bath to right hand side wall ? or is it what you mentioned.

Sponsored Links
ah , you may be OK then . the tiled wall that your WC cistern sits against is probably timber construction ,faced with plasterboard and tiled .so you can probably get rid of it. then establish if the boxing in around the soil stack can be reduced in width / depth to gain a bit more space. a 500mm unit for WC ,and 450 (500 if you can gain that bit more ) for sink . should go in between bath and soil pipe.you could ,if you wanted to, extend the boxing in to meet flush ,front and top,of the cabinet.
I assume your not measuring to the right hand wall from bath edge ?

Last edited:
Bath to wall is 1215 mm (i.e. the boxing is 220 mm wide).

I might cut an exploratory hole in the boxing to see how much space I have inside around the soil stack.

I suppose another option is to just have a vanity plus the boxing with a closed-coupled WC backing onto it. Obviously moving the cistern into a unit would save some space with the WC projecting less into the room, but some width might be saved if wanted to try squeeze in a bigger vanity.

if you mean fit a cabinet where the current WC sits ,and then fit new WC up to your new cabinet ,I suspect that would bring it further into the room .losing a bit of floor space , but could have a bigger sink for sure .

I meant just have a vanity unit and have a closed-coupled toilet up to the tiled boxing as it is now (but obviously done properly). As a closed-coupled toilet is about 360mm wide.

Thanks - any ideas where I might find some with proper ceramic basins , for example - most of these I found before are no-name products, I'd rather get something branded if possible?

You would need to go and search for bare vanity units and then buy the appliances separately but that will be a bit of an exercise to get it all to match and fit properly, especially on a budget TBH.

Hmm, yeah, doesn't seem a lot of choice. Just not sure I want to sacrifice basin depth or material. I guess something has to give though!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back