Bathroom dimmer switch and Extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello All,

I would like to know if it is possible to get a suitable dimmer switch or wiring set-up that will allow for the following. With both the lights and the extractor controlled with one switch.

Lights in bathroom on a dimmer switch and the extractor coming on when the lights are turned on. It would be even better if the fan only came on when the lights were at 100%.

I know that light dimmers and fans are not normally compatible because of the way light dimming works. But is there a way for this to happen without having to have 2 different switches?

Thanks
Andrew

Sponsored Links
It would be possible but very expensive to have the fan come on when the lights hit a peak voltage through the dimmer switch.

A cheaper and more efficient way would be just to have a standard switch and timer fan.

RMS

How expensive and how? Not so bothered about it coming on at peak voltage, just would be an added nice touch. Would just like to able to dim the lights sometimes and have a fan come on with one switch.

I have just had a thought, it would only be occasional that we would want to dim the lights, could I put a dimmer switch between the pull cord and the lights. Therefore being able to have the fan and lights come on with one switch, but have the ability to dim the lights when desired?

Thanks
Andrew

=============================
please note the forum rules

Something like this would be fine.

FANWITHDIMMER.jpg

Sponsored Links
Hi RF, thanks for that, that should do the trick, just nicely.

Can I ask which rule I have broken, is it to do with replying to my own post? Don't want to get into trouble, how should I have gone about it?

Also, despite what my flag might say, I am in the UK, just picked Tanzania when I signed up cause I fancied it. Sorry if that has caused confusion.

Thanks
Andrew

Fat Lady said:
despite what my flag might say, I am in the UK, just picked Tanzania when I signed up cause I fancied it. Sorry if that has caused confusion.

Think you may have answered your own question there

Fat Lady said:
Can I ask which rule I have broken

rule 9
Fat Lady said:
Also, despite what my flag might say, I am in the UK, just picked Tanzania when I signed up cause I fancied it. Sorry if that has caused confusion.

Thanks
Andrew

It does cause confusion. If I let you post in UK electrics with a non UK flag, I will have to let everyone do it. Before we had electrics out side of the UK there were quite a few confusing posts

You can change your flag in your profile
icon_mini_profile.gif

moderator said:
It does cause confusion. If I let you post in UK electrics with a non UK flag, I will have to let everyone do it. Before we had electrics out side of the UK there were quite a few confusing posts
Where's Breezer these days?

Hi Securespark, I believe you :) I had looked at that product, on tlc, but had not come accross the technical information, probably did not look properly.

The switch has 4 connections, I believe. I have contacted Dimpull for further info and will post it here so that you can have the info from the 'horse's mouth' so to speak.

The only potential problem is that it can only do 175W with low voltage, it would appear, despite quoting 250W as the maximum with mains lights.

I just wonder if it will work with a fan which does not have a timer on it, if the fan only has a switched live.

Thanks
Andrew

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back