Bathroom dimmer switch with extractor fan?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Just wondering if someone can offer some advice, I've had a new bathroom installed and wanted to install myself a dimmer switch for the misses.

I had 9x 35w halogen lights installed along with an extractor fan wired to the same switch by an electrician.

Stupidly I forgot to ask the electrician to install the extractor fan on a separate switch when they did the electrician work and hes wired it to the lights so it comes on when the switch for the lights are turned on.

As the plastic roof has been installed a rewire for the fan is out of the question.

I switched over the standard switch to a dimmer switch thinking it would be fine which has worked fine for the past few days.

Now all of a sudden the dimmer switch appears to have "blown" so I've had to pop the standard switch back on.

The dimmer switch I installed was a 250W, do I need a higher wattage switch due to the fan ?

The dimmer switch had been working fine for a few days, when dimming down the fan slowed down but still worked fine along with the lights.

Sorry I don't know much about electrics and more of a handyman!

Thanks for any help :)

Sponsored Links
Afraid it's simple maths as to why your dimmer popped its clogs.

9 x 35 = 315W

Dimmer = 250W

Pointless having 4" fan on dimmer as when lights are on low the extract rate is next to nothing.

Bad design all round, I'm afraid.

You may be able to alter the wiring at the light switch or fan switch if there is one.

If you describe all the wires you have at the light switch (and fan switch if you have one) it may be easy to put the fan on a separate switch, and still maintain the timer (if there is one), without having to run new cables.

Sponsored Links
Afraid it's simple maths as to why your dimmer popped its clogs.

9 x 35 = 315W

Dimmer = 250W

Pointless having 4" fan on dimmer as when lights are on low the extract rate is next to nothing.

Bad design all round, I'm afraid.

Thanks thought as much, if I purchase say a 600w dimmer instead would this work OK ?

Misses only dims the lights when she's in the bath so most of the time it would be on full for the fan.

You may be able to alter the wiring at the light switch or fan switch if there is one.

If you describe all the wires you have at the light switch (and fan switch if you have one) it may be easy to put the fan on a separate switch, and still maintain the timer (if there is one), without having to run new cables.

The fan seems to be connected to the main lighting, plastic cladding has been replaced now so it isn't possible to change switch only has 1x live and neutral with no other connections.

Thanks for the help

Some times dimmer switches have a dimmed output and a on/off output so if the fan is wired separately to the switch or a new wire can be pulled in then the fan could still be on the same switch but not effected by the dimmer

400 W dimmer. Is there not a separate fan isolator somewhere (over the door usually) that isolates the fan for maintenance?

Should point out the live and neutral you point out is at the switch is almost certainly live and switched live.

400 W dimmer. Is there not a separate fan isolator somewhere (over the door usually) that isolates the fan for maintenance?

Should point out the live and neutral you point out is at the switch is almost certainly live and switched live.

No other switches that I can see, looked in the loft too but nothing has been changed there or floorboards lifted so I'm guessing he has not installed one..

Would a 400W dimmer suffice ? It shouldn't blow the dimmer again?

I thought 250w + 9x35 =565w?

Thanks

Install a pull cord switch on the fan, much more relaxing during a bath ! :D

Dimming halogen lights will reduce their life. They rely on recombination of evaporated tungsten which won't happen if they are dimmed. Putting a fan on a dimmer will cause it to stall and possibly burn out.

So don't put a dimmer on this circuit.

If u had installed a fan with run on timer u would have probably been ok with the correct wattage dimmer.

Dimming halogen lights will reduce their life. They rely on recombination of evaporated tungsten which won't happen if they are dimmed. Putting a fan on a dimmer will cause it to stall and possibly burn out.

So don't put a dimmer on this circuit.

Utter nonsense.

I've been dimming halogen lamps in theatres and houses for years, and never even heard of an anicdotal issue of premature lamp failure. Soft start dimmers will actually PROLONG the lafe of a halogen lamp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back