Installing dimmer on bathroom lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My bathroom is lit by several 12v 50w downlighters which makes it rather bright when trying to take a relaxing evening bath. Can I replace the standard switch with a dimmer? My main reason for asking is that the extractor fan is wired to come on when the lights are switched on and I'm not sure if the dimmer will also reduce the power to the fan. There is a separate fan switch next to the light switch. Sorry if I'm being dim - pun intended!!

Sponsored Links
Theres more issues than that to consider:

1) The 12v source of the lamps needs to be dimmable
2) Even if it is dimmable, the dimmer still needs to be one capacble of dimming reactive loads
3) When you have got that sorted, you need to make sure the dimmer can dim the amount of TH lighting you have, in the absense of a TH rating on the dimmer, its normal to halve the nameplate oridnary incaandesent rating (eg. a dimmer rated for 400w of GLS lamps, would be ok for ~200A TH lamps)

Hmm, thanks for the quick reply. Sounds like we might be getting beyond my DIY expertise here - time to call a sparks I think!!
Thanks again HG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back