remote control dimmer / lighting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am about to install three mains 50w downlights in my bathroom. It is a medium sized bathroom and my wife in her infinite wisodm!! has expressed concerns that 3 x 50w halogen bulbs may be too bright for the countless hours she spends soaking in the bath.

I therefore would like to consider a dimmer switch. The lights are obviously controlled via a pull cord switch - being a bathroom etc but what i thought is could I intercept the wire between pull switch and downlights and wire in a remote control infra red dimmer switch. If I placed this in zone 3 on the ceiling or something, the wife could dim the lights from the comfort of the bath.

any thoughts on possible implications

thanks

Sponsored Links
One of these might do the job. The only problem is that remote dimmers are on all of the time. That way they can remember the last dimmer setting. By switching the dimmer of with the pull switch you will reset it to its default state, which is probably off. That means you will have to operate the pull switch and then use the remote to get the lights working.

A better solution would be to use these. Put the slave outside the bathroom and put the remote master in the ceiling. Do not have a pull cord.

Or

If the pull cord is reachable from the bath, then use one of these.

great thanks for that useful info. I think the pull cord dimmer would be the easiest option but it baffles me how it could work.

The pull cord dimmer work like a touch dimmer, only it uses a pull cord. A quick pull turns the light on and off. Pull and hold to adjust the light level.

It is certainly the easiest solution.

Sponsored Links
Pull cord dimmer seems easiest soln in this case - just replace one with the other.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back