Bathroom door size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are moving the bathroom from one location to another. Is it permissible under building regs to fit a 27" door?

Sponsored Links
I don't think it applies to you. It's for wheelchair etc access, but you're not doing a new build, just moving the bathroom. On the other hand, are you doing this under a building control notice, and what was the size of the original door. But a 1050 lintel will let you fit a 30" door. You only need 4" support either end, and taking off the frame and a bit of leeway will allow it.

Sponsored Links
I don't think it applies to you. It's for wheelchair etc access, but you're not doing a new build, just moving the bathroom. On the other hand, are you doing this under a building control notice, and what was the size of the original door. But a 1050 lintel will let you fit a 30" door. You only need 4" support either end, and taking off the frame and a bit of leeway will allow it.
I am doing this under a building control notice. I'm pretty sure that the door on the original bathroom was 30". The door to this room was an odd size (29" I think) but that needs bricking up now.

Great for the BCN, not many people do it, but you're doing like for like, so there shouldn't be an issue. As you're moving the bathroom, just move the old door as well. But if you're really worried, talk to the BCO.

Great for the BCN, not many people do it, but you're doing like for like, so there shouldn't be an issue. As you're moving the bathroom, just move the old door as well. But if you're really worried, talk to the BCO.
I did entertain the thought of not notifying but I have new structural openings too as well as alterations to drainage etc so thought I should.

Part M Approved Document deals with disabled access. It applies to new build only for dwellings.

For what its worth, the BCO said I could do pretty much what I want regarding bathroom fixtures as its not a new dwelling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back