Bathroom downlight wiring help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have an en-suite with an extractor fan and two down-lights. One down-light stopped working - I cant remove the casing to check if its the bulb as it seems to have permanently stuck together.

So I bought a replacement from Wickes. I went into the loft, removed wires and the old light, but realised I had bought the wrong size replacement.

Therefore, not wanting the loose wires free, I reconnected the old one. However, when I restored power, it turns out the other downlight now doesnt work, but the fan does.

So I am at a loss. The downlight with the problem had two wires for each of the earth, live, neutral screwed into the light and I have re-wired again.

Is there any obvious mistake I might have made? - Would a bad connection within the old light mean another light doesnt work but the fan does? Actually thinking about it, it is a timed fan so would have a second live wire.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

Sponsored Links
Pictures would be helpful.

A loose or broken connection somewhere could cause this.

Do the lights have transformers? These are prone to go wrong.

The lampholders can burn out too.

Without seeing how this is all wired up it's near enough impossible to give a definite answer at this stage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back