Bathroom downlighters and loft insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had two B&Q 50W halogen downlighters installed in my bathroom ceiling, just below the loft. I see that the spark who did the job has peeled the insulation away from the fitting that sticks up into the loft so that it's bare for about 500cm all around. Is that margin of safety really necessary? I seem to remember that there is some other way of fireproofing these lights without destroying the integrity of the loft insulation.

Sponsored Links
Hi it is always best to leave a gap around down lights maybe not as big as this guy left 270mm should be fine you can also buy heat resistant covers from certain diy stores but in my opinion it is best to let as much air circulate around the lights as they tend to burn out and over heat never cover totaly as it is a fire hazard.

I recently did some downlights with loose fill granular loft insulation above them...these type of covers arent any good for that type of insulation. I had to section of with timber between the joists at each light..a real pain. anyone know of any covers / boxes on sale for this situation.

Sponsored Links
You could use some sturdy plastic soil pipe...

Downlighters.jpg

Or, if you've run out of that, plastic flowerpots should be heat-resistant enough...

PlasticFlowerPot.jpg

I am joking, BTW.

Thanks SS. the Soil pipe job looks o.k...a bead of silicone around the base of it to keep it steady I think and Bobs your Uncle !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back