Bathroom downlights in a ceiling under 225cm.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening morning guys...

New ensuite has a walk in shower - the ceilings around 2050mm tall.....to position a downlights directly over, does this count as Zone 1? I'm thinking it must, as vertical or horizontal, it's still within 225cm from the base.

So is it 12v SELV only?

If i opted to abandon this downlight above the shower, can the others in the ceiling (outside a 600mm splashzone) be kept at 240v?

Many thanks in advance.
Deano

Sponsored Links
New ensuite has a walk in shower - the ceilings around 2050mm tall.....to position a downlights directly over, does this count as Zone 1?
Yes.
So is it 12v SELV only?
Well, according to the regulations, in addition to SELV items, you can also have any luminaire (including 230/240V ones) provided that the manufacture says that it is suitable for installation in Zone 1. Whether or not you'll be able to find a 230V one which the manufacturer says is suitable for use in Zone 1 is perhaps a different matter.
If i opted to abandon this downlight above the shower, can the others in the ceiling (outside a 600mm splashzone) be kept at 240v?
Yep. In fact, that remains true anywhere outside of Zone 1 (i.e. Zone 2 would theoretically be OK).

In terms of 'gut feelings' (even if irrational), and regardless of regs, I think a good few people would prefer not to have 'touchable' 230V lights anywhere in a bathroom.

Kind Regards, John

Daft as it may be, the 225cm. is measured from the "finished floor level"; not the shower, but, anyway -

240V lights (luminaires) are allowed in zone 1 if IPX4 or better and stated by the manufacturer as suitable for the location.

D'oh, too slow.

Sponsored Links
Electric showers ?
I said lights. At least with some types, people have been known to change bulbs/lamps, which could involve the exposing of potentially live parts, but few would be found 'tampering' within an electric shower.

However, as you know, I agree with your implied point that people who seem terrified by the mixture of electricity, water and potentially naked wet bodies generally seem quite comfortable touching an electric shower onto which water is pouring whilst they are wet and naked .

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back