bathroom downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. I have three bathroom down lights in the bathroom ceiling. Overtime the whole unit does not adhere to the ceiling anymore, as i have to pull down the whole unit every time i have to change the halogen lamp, leaving a 20mm gap between the rim of the unit and the ceiling as the hole in the ceiling has become slightly bigger overtime.Do you know any tricks to make them adhere to the ceiling please? I was thinking of wrapping some masking tape round the unit, however the whole unit becomes very hot and i wouldn't like the masking tape to catch fire. Thank you for your inputs.

Sponsored Links
In my experience most people seem to use a load of decorator's caulk to make them stick - the wrongness of this becomes obvious next time a lamp needs changing ...

I reckon the best thing to do is drill out new holes for the fittings a few inches away, then fill in and redecorate the original holes, the edges of which are now damaged beyond use. At the same time, get different light fittings which do not need to be completely removed from the ceiling to change the lamp, thus reducing the problem for the future.

pj

Or if possible, fit LED lamps which should last for a long time. Wait a few weeks in case of infant failures, then make good.

Almost all fittings allow a lamp to be changed without having to pull the whole item out of the ceiling.

Can you post a pic of the fitting, maybe you are missing an essential trick!

Sponsored Links
Hi TTC i think you are right....i was missing an essential trick! :oops:

I would use decorator chalk or masking tape, downlights in bathrooms should ideally be designed to prevent the ingress of moisture through them, so I can only see as a solution, replacing fitting for larger ones, therefore cutting larger hole for snug fit. Or remedial work of the holes, which would require removing fittings, patch over existing holes and re-cutting them for the light to fit snug again.
And as TTC as informed you, these light fitting should not need to be removed to replace lamps!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back