Bathroom Downlights....240v or 12v??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hopefully a simple question................I am wanting to put downlights into bathroom, are 240v or 12v firerated units best for this application or doesn't it really matter as long as zone conditions are adhered to??

Thanks in anticipation of some help

Sponsored Links
thats the 6 million dolar question.

12v or mains

there is no deffinative answer, so long as all other options comply and the difference is 12 or 230 its your choice

Fire rated not required. Unless its a flat or a garage ceiling or public building.

mains can be fitted with CFLs, to save our lovely green planet.

Fire rated not required. Unless its a flat or a garage ceiling or public building.

mains can be fitted with CFLs, to save our lovely green planet.

Thanks for that.............I assumed fire rated was required on every floor level

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that.............I assumed fire rated was required on every floor level
Many people do.

I think theres certain situations also where lofts have been converted, but it wont apply to many. Basically anywhere that fire integrity is essential (which the locations i mention above make sense to include).

Many people do.

I think theres certain situations also where lofts have been converted, but it wont apply to many. Basically anywhere that fire integrity is essential (which the locations i mention above make sense to include).
This is just bathroom with loft above containing insulation and junk which will never again see the light of day

do you know about shower downlights ip65?
they had crossed my mind but assumed (again) without checking that they would probably need to be run via an rcd and as the shower enclosure is 1700 x 700 think enough light will get to the area from 4 x downlights placed centrally

Not just IP65 shower downlights require RCD protection, all circuits being installed or altered within a bathroom require additional protection via a 30mA RCD.

Not just IP65 shower downlights require RCD protection, all circuits being installed or altered within a bathroom require additional protection via a 30mA RCD.
I presume that then includes replacing 4 x bulb centre light with 4 x downlights?

Yes, all additions or alterations require compliance with BS7671 (wiring regulations).

This is just bathroom with loft above containing insulation
Don't forget that this will need clearing away from the vicinity of each downlight, and a box built over each light of a size to meet the manufacturer's instructions for clearance, sealed to the ceiling and with the insulation taken over the top of it.

http://www.nhbcbuilder.co.uk/NHBCpu...ical/StandardsExtra/filedownload,21353,en.pdf

I presume that then includes replacing 4 x bulb centre light with 4 x downlights?
Yup.

Also, as you're adding lights it's notifiable.

You should use low voltage where possible.
(a ) They are brighter ie give more light per watt than mains halogen
(b) always good to keep mains voltage out of a bathroom area
(c) LV bulgs will last a lot longer than mains

Will cost slightly more initially but will save money over the long term.
I'm a spark and will not put mains in if given the choice.

Cheers

Yes, all additions or alterations require compliance with BS7671 (wiring regulations).
Yup.

But lights don't require RCD protection in themselves (unlike sockets), so no need to add an RCD to the circuit because you're adding lights.

Circuits in the bathroom require RCD protection, so if you were installing a new circuit that would have to have it, but if no new circuit is being introduced then an RCD doesn't have to be either.

Cables without mechanical protection concealed in walls or partitions at a depth of less than 50mm require RCD protection, so if you were installing new cables like that then they would have to have it, but if no new cables are being installed then an RCD doesn't have to be either.

In short there is no requirement in BS 7671 to add an RCD to an existing bathroom lighting circuit if all you're doing is adding lights.

(a ) They are brighter ie give more light per watt than mains halogen
That's a bit like saying you should buy a Range Rover because it has better fuel consumption than a Toyota Land Cruiser ;)

(b) always good to keep mains voltage out of a bathroom area
Where are you going to put the switch(es)?

(c) LV bulgs will last a lot longer than mains
See above re fuel consumption ;)

I'm a spark
Then you should know better than to say "low voltage" when you mean "extra low voltage".

I'm not having a go - it's not some picky or pedantic point - people come here because they do, or plan to do, electrical work, and in the course of that they'll encounter laws and regulations which use the terms correctly, and it'll be no good them thinking that "low voltage" means 12V....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back