bathroom drain weld vs pushfit vs compression

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI

I am creating wet room and wondered if anyone had thoughts on best type of drainage (for bath & shower) when later access will be denied (tiled floor and walls). never used weld before, but I wondered if pushfit/compression are up to the job then permanently beyond reach.

the reason I ask is the shower drain (dallmar) specifies weld joint (so will need to buy a tub of weld adhesive) but all existing plumbing is push fit or compression.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
the reason I ask is the shower drain (dallmar) specifies weld joint (so will need to buy a tub of weld adhesive) but all existing plumbing is push fit or compression.
A small tin of weld isn't expensive in the grand scheme of things - and you'll possibly save the cost by getting solvent weld fittings instead of pushfit. It does mean you have to "think twice, fit once" and (if done right) the solvent welding is permanent and you can't change your mind. It's really not hard, and as long as you do it right in the first place, if it doesn't leak at first, it's not going to start leaking later.

When putting fittings in, you want a reasonably square end to the pipe, ideally chamfered a bit. Roughen both the outside of the pipe and inside of the socket with clean abrasive (emery tape), apply solvent weld to both, then push together with a slight twisting motion. The weld will be "going off" within seconds, but you need to allow 24 hours for the solvent to fully evaporate before putting any strain on the connections (such as pressurising a circuit - not that it's a consideration for a drain.)

At the last place I worked, we were having some air-con fitted and the pipe work got outsourced. The contractors completely ignored the manufacturers instructions (IIRC we were using Graham Fischer ABS stuff) and good practice - and assembled the pipework by just blobbing some solvent weld in the sockets and pushing the pipes in. Quite a few of the joints leaked and they had to rip it out and do it again. Not only that, but they fitted plastic ball valves on pipe with the flanges still attached to the valves - and dribbled solvent weld into the valves and glued the balls in place :rolleyes: I think that was a costly learning experience for the contractors.

Don't try solvent welding to pushfit pipe and fittings - it doesn't work!

Pushfit systems use different plastics that are incompatible with solvent weld adhesive. It may seem to stick initially, but once fully cured, the joints just fall apart again.

Don't try solvent welding to pushfit pipe and fittings - it doesn't work!

Pushfit systems use different plastics that are incompatible with solvent weld adhesive. It may seem to stick initially, but once fully cured, the joints just fall apart again.

Why on earth would he do that? That's like saying 'don't solder Cuprofit'.

Why on earth would he do that? That's like saying 'don't solder Cuprofit'.
Because if the existing pipe is push-fit and he uses solvent weld for shower OP might just think about solvent welding new to existing. Above post is simply a warning it doesn't work!

I would love to be contraversial and stir up some debate... but it's not going to happen... SLOVENT WELD EVERY TIME!

Do it once and sleep well at night!

Thanks all. Thats what I thought. I will strip out all existing pipes and re plumb in weld.

New post coming up about shower pumps....

Try and put in an access tee with removable plug (externally), so you can flush out pipe run later on with hose/bamboo stick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back