Bathroom Electric Circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've completely gutted my bathroom in my 1950's house....everything is gone, so I can start from scratch. :D

The only electrics that are needed in the bathroom (apart from overhead lighting) are a couple of 350 watt heated towel rails, a shaving socket, 3 amp power shower (not an electric shower!), and some mirror lights.

I have a dedicated 2.5 mm T&E running from the new consumer unit to the 2KW immersion heater which is close to the bathroom. It is protected by a 16 amp MCB and is only used rarely and usually at night for Economy 7.

Any reason why I cannot use this circuit to power the above appliances in a radial layout? Each appliance would have its FCU hidden in the airing cupboard where the hot water tank is. I don't want to break into the normal ring main unnecessarily.
Is the 16 Amp MCB sufficient?

Thanks for your advice.

Paul

Sponsored Links
It is not good practice to spur anything else off the immersion circuit, especially as when in use it is near to circuit capacity.

Work in bathrooms is notifiable to your LABC under Part P of The Building Regulations.

Isn't there a reg that says that any water heater with a capacity of 15 litres or more should be supplied off it's own dedicated circuit??

I don't think it is a reg as such, more of a recommendation in the OSG.
Still don't like the idea of doing it that way though.

Sponsored Links
Yeh, I knew that I'd read it some where, just checked the regs and can't find any mention of it, so it must be in the OSG.

Tis. Something like:

Immersion Heaters, fitted to storage vessels > 15l.......are supplied by their own separate circuits.

Under table 8A from memory.

Secure,
Was in your neck of the woods today, had to go up yo Oldham to fix some lights in a nursing home. Took me 1 3/4 hrs to get there, 2 hrs to sort it out, and 2 1/2 hours to get home. God knows how I'm going to bill that, the builder is going to see his anus if I try and charge a whole day for just 2 hrs work

No,
He knows exactly where I live (he lives a couple of miles away) and where the property is - he know's it's at least a 3hr round trip in good traffic, he also knows what I charge per hour. Asked me to go there as an emergency. His plumber is local to us aswell and he's been there too!

It's just if I try and hit him for £200 for 2 hrs work he's going to see his bum (upgrading MCB to 10A) - 14 fittings 40 odd lamps, it's not surprising the MCB was tripping occasionally! -

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back