Bathroom Electrics Tripped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone offer any advice on this problem...?

I had my new bathroom installed in October 2016.
Electric installation included 4 new ceiling lights, Extractor Fan (with Humidity sensor) and a Mirror Cabinet (with lighting and shaver socket).

The Fan would come on with the lights and stay on depending on the humidity or time (whichever took priority).

The mirror cabinet light would only come on if you waved your hand under it, and could be switched on without lights or fan being on.

These were all connected by a qualified electrician (which I have the NAPIT certificate for the work).

In the attic an RCD was installed which links all these bathroom electrics and it is currently tripped and remains red in the window.

All the upstairs lighting is unaffected and the main upstairs circuit does not trip. Except when I tried to replace the fuse in the RCD in the attic. This told me that the tripping was related to the bathroom only.

So all the lighting upstairs is ok, except the bathroom electrics.

I have read that the fan could be the cause so I have disconnected this from the circuit. After disconnecting the fan completely from the circuit - the electrics trip straight away. So presumably it can't be the fan?

The fact that the RCD does not reset or stays red in the window must say something but I do not know why?

I would be grateful if there is someone out there who could give a credible answer to this problem or if they have experienced something similar which can be related to.

I have contacted the bathroom electrician and am awaiting his response.

I also have homecare electrical cover - so I will have this safely sorted soon.

The reason for this post is that I would like some advice in advance of what the electrician finds.

We are currently using the bathroom without extraction and with a torch - so just a tad inconvenient :-/

Sponsored Links
you say a fuse in the rcd spur is blown. if this is true the fault must be big - as in an overload. such as a nail or screw threw the cable or a wire melted on the back of a light etc. I assume the room worked at one time? how long did it work before this happened and did any work happen in the mean time?

You have an RCD in your attic, bit inconvenient! Can you post a picture of it or describe the make is it an FCU RCD

like this:
ae235
??

Thanks for the reply.

Everything was working fine up until recently when one day it was working then next morning it wasn't (2 months after installation)?

Strangely the fuse hasn't blown - but the RCD is stuck on red. When a fuse is put in it trips instantly! I have had to remove the fuse due to this.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It's just by the hatch in the attic and the light in the attic is working so not too bad. The RCD is this...

Attachments

• IMG_6252.PNG
    IMG_6252.PNG
    261.7 KB · Views: 249
Are CPN susceptible to fault?
Could it be a simple case of replacing RCD?
What would cause it to fail?
Is there a better recommended brand?

I would like this to be the answer to my problem :)

Try switching the lights off at the switch and re-setting the rcd. If it does not re-set it maybe the mirror. As has already been said, it could be damaged cabling, i.e. melted to a down lighter.Does the mirror have a de-mister heater ?

DS

I have tried the light pull cord twice as I did not know if it was left on or off and both options tripped the RCD.

The mirror cabinet has a switch in it so I have switched this to off and it still tripped the RCD. Yes the mirror cabinet door has a de-mister.

And as previously mentioned I have completely disconnected the fan and the RCD still tripped.

I cannot reset the RCD. As soon as a fuse is put back in it trips instantly.

No work has been done after the bathroom installation that could cause cabling to be damaged?

You may have a Neutral to Earth fault which is a bugger to trace as switching off the pull cord will not disconnect the N to the lights. If you disconnect the outgoing side of the RCD at least that will determine if it's the RCD that's faulty if it re-sets with no load connected.

DS

Forget the fuse that's not blowing (I doubt). You need to turn everything off up there. Unplug everything, then try the power. If it won't turn on then there is a fundamental fault. You could try removing the screws on all the sockets and switches and pulling them forward. if this solves it you may have damaged cables behind a point.

Have you put any pictures up or done any other little alterations

That sounds like logical advice thanks, I may try that tomorrow. Or I might leave to the expert?

What I don't understand is why a neutral to earth fault would just happen (if it is that)?

As has been said, it could be a cable that has been damaged, it is fairly common to find cables that have cooked on a down light when the lamp has been replaced in haste !

Let us know the outcome :)

DS

That sounds like logical advice thanks, I may try that tomorrow. Or I might leave to the expert?
As you have already contacted the installer, and have homecare electrical cover - that is exactly what you should do.

No sense in buying a dog and barking yourself.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back