Bathroom Electrics Solution

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am thinking of giving our bathroom a revamp but have hit a mental stumbling block over the electrics.

Currently the bathroom has a single pendant light and a SELV extractor fan with transformer in the loft, both running off the upstairs lighting circuit which has no RCD protection at the CU. The rest of the upstairs lights are on the same circuit, and the upstairs sockets are on their own circuit again without RCD protection at the CU. The CU has RCD protection for some circuits but not these.

I would like to replace the bathroom light with 4 or 5 downlighters, possibly add a 2nd extractor fan, and replace the radiator with 2 towel rails that would run off the heating but also electricity when heating is off.

For this work I will need to get a Part P electrician in as it's all notifiable, however I would first like to get my head around the best solution that would minimise decor disruption to other rooms and possibly allow me to put wiring in place for the electrician to just check and then connect up. In my experience, tradesmen want the quickest/easiest solution for them, which is not necessarily the best solution for me, and so I prefer to go into battle fully armed or even spell out exactly what I want.

With that in mind, what is the best solution with minimal disruption? My current thought is that a new circuit for the bathroom could be added to the CU on the RCD protected side - this has a relatively easy path from CU to spare bedroom, then lift carpets to run into bathroom, where the radiators can be fed by it. In this scenario could the lights also run off the same circuit, with/without FCU? Wiring would need to run up the bathroom wall to the ceiling, to avoid chasing out new decor in other rooms. Also do radiators need isolating switches outside the bathroom? I could end up with a cockpit of switches outside the bathroom door, which I want to avoid.

Sponsored Links
I am thinking of giving our bathroom a revamp but have hit a mental stumbling block over the electrics.
Indeed.

Currently the bathroom has a single pendant light and a SELV extractor fan with transformer in the loft, both running off the upstairs lighting circuit which has no RCD protection at the CU. The rest of the upstairs lights are on the same circuit, and the upstairs sockets are on their own circuit again without RCD protection at the CU. The CU has RCD protection for some circuits but not these.
Put these on the RCD or get another or RCBOs (combined MCB and RCD)

I would like to replace the bathroom light with 4 or 5 downlighters, possibly add a 2nd extractor fan, and replace the radiator with 2 towel rails that would run off the heating but also electricity when heating is off.
Why on earth do you want two fans?

For this work I will need to get a Part P electrician in as it's all notifiable,
Might not be. How high is the ceiling and how far from the bath/shower are the towel rails?
Notification is nothing to do with Part P which applies to all work.

however I would first like to get my head around the best solution that would minimise decor disruption to other rooms and possibly allow me to put wiring in place for the electrician to just check and then connect up.
Then you must employ electrician first and do what he says for what you want.

In my experience, tradesmen want the quickest/easiest solution for them, which is not necessarily the best solution for me, and so I prefer to go into battle fully armed or even spell out exactly what I want.
It's not a battle.

With that in mind, what is the best solution with minimal disruption?
A different attitude.

My current thought is that a new circuit for the bathroom could be added to the CU on the RCD protected side
See above re. RCDs. You don't need new circuits. How can that be easier?

- this has a relatively easy path from CU to spare bedroom, then lift carpets to run into bathroom, where the radiators can be fed by it. In this scenario could the lights also run off the same circuit, with/without FCU?
No need. You have a light circuit in the bathroom.

Wiring would need to run up the bathroom wall to the ceiling, to avoid chasing out new decor in other rooms. Also do radiators need isolating switches outside the bathroom? [/quote]
They will need a switch somewhere.

Sponsored Links
Indeed.

Put these on the RCD or get another or RCBOs (combined MCB and RCD)

's bats
Why on earth do you want two fans?

Might not be. How high is the ceiling and how far from the bath/shower are the towel rails?
Notification is nothing to do with Part P which applies to all work.

Then you must employ electrician first and do what he says for what you want.

It's not a battle.

A different attitude.

See above re. RCDs. You don't need new circuits. How can that be easier?

No need. You have a light circuit in the bathroom.

Wiring would need to run up the bathroom wall to the ceiling, to avoid chasing out new decor in other rooms. Also do radiators need isolating switches outside the bathroom?

Sorry but dissecting my post, criticising my attitude and questioning why I want things how I do isn't very helpful. It may be better if you left others more willing to help to reply?

To answer your questions - Why do I want two fans? It's actually not because I have some kind of extractor fan fetish, but because the current one is in a shower enclosure and does nothing for the rest of the bathroom, including the heavily used bath. One over the bath and keeping the one in the shower would reduce the cupfuls of condensation I have to mop up off the window after my wife's baths.

I apologise if my exact terminology around Part P vs Notification isn't correct. The main point is, I know it is notifiable (ceiling height is 5cm lower than the limit, the fans and towel rails would all be close to or over a bath/ sink/ shower) and will employ a suitably qualified tradesmen. I am still within my rights to prepare for that and suggest how I want it doing, providing they agree and it's within the regulations. I'm paying for the privilege after all. I've had many, MANY, bad experiences with tradesmen in the past as they all seem to want to do the bare minimum and don't care about disruption to the customer. At the very least, sounding like I know what I want means they're less likely to see me as a soft target to rip off. I'm not saying all tradesmen are like this, but the majority I have had to deal with are, hence I DIY as much as I can.

Why put in a new circuit? It is an idea for discussion. The current upstairs circuit is fairly old and not RCD protected. It's still in old colours. I was thinking this solution was a clean/easy way to get electricity into the bathroom, and then gradually move the bedroom sockets over to the same circuit in time as decorating allows, phasing the old wiring out to redundancy. The lighting circuit is even older - until recently it wasn't even earthed. I'm trying to think of solutions that meet current regs whilst minimising disruption.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back