bathroom electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi gents hope you can help and advise

I want to remodel the bathroom totaly from scratch, at the moment there is a sperate toilet which im going to knock down the wall between which should give me a bathroom of aprox 8ft by 8ft

As you enter into the bathroom there is a small passage with a door to the left which goes to a huge airing cupboard about 6ft deep with an emersion tank. and straight ahead is the door to the bathroom area

what i would like to do is remove move the door to the bathroom and put it at the start of the passage. so the door doesnt open into bathroom area.

the airing cupboard would then be in the confines of the bathroom.

The plan is to install a new combi boiler in the airing cupboard and remove the water tank and cylinder.

Is the airing cupboard now considerd to be part of the bathroom?
and as such no electrics would be allowed in the airing cupboard?

If i install a whirlpool bath can the electrics for this be in the cupboard

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Sponsored Links
You seem to think that no electrics are allowed in bathrooms. I guess yours must be lit by candles, or gas lights.

You've basically got two choices.

1) Engage the services of a registered electrician to carry out the work.

2) Familiarise yourself with what the requirements actually are. A good way to start would be the following:

a) Read the Wiki article on DIY and the law, as the work is notifiable.

b) Get copies of the On-Site Guide and the Electrician's Guide to the Building Regulations.

Thanks for the really helpful reply - not

As this is a forum for asking questions, i thought it might be a good idea to ask one, on the hope i would get an intellegent response.

simple question, simple answer.

Thanks for pointing out that electrics are allowed in the bathroom, I always wondered what that pull switch was for.

nowhere in my post did i say i was going to engage in the work myself, all i was trying to do was gauge if what i want to do is feasible. i believe its called forward planning.

I am aware of the other website but i thought a reply on a forum of this nature would be a lot better than me trying to interpret a field that i am not qualified in.

one again thanks for the positive response you truly are a guiding light.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the really helpful reply - not

As this is a forum for asking questions, i thought it might be a good idea to ask one, on the hope i would get an intellegent response.
Perhaps you should have done us the courtesy of asking intelligent questions then...

Thanks for pointing out that electrics are allowed in the bathroom, I always wondered what that pull switch was for.
OK - so that makes us even.

Now perhaps you could explain why, if you know that electrics are allowed in the bathroom you wrote:

"Is the airing cupboard now considerd to be part of the bathroom?
and as such no electrics would be allowed in the airing cupboard?
"

nowhere in my post did i say i was going to engage in the work myself, all i was trying to do was gauge if what i want to do is feasible. i believe its called forward planning.
OK - I misinterpreted, I know you didn't explicitly say you were going to do the work yourself, but you didn't explicitly say otherwise, and you started out saying you were going to knock down the wall, you were going to move the door....

I am aware of the other website but i thought a reply on a forum of this nature would be a lot better than me trying to interpret a field that i am not qualified in.

one again thanks for the positive response you truly are a guiding light.
See above - if you were planning to do the work yourself then you would have needed to read the Wiki article and get those books.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back