DIN-rail enclosure in bathroom airing cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to install a small (6-8M) DIN rail enclosure in the airing cupboard, which is off the bathroom. I'm sourcing the enclosure so need to check if the requirement for the location.

Is the airing cupboard classed as still "part of" the bathroom (ie making it a special location). The door is louvered with no access via another room.

If it is "part of" the bathroom it would be zone 3 (the door is 0.7m and the mounting position for the enclosure 0.9m from the bath).

Is a particular IP rating required?

thanks

... and before anyone post the usual Part-P notice, I'll only be installing the *enclosure*. The kit in the enclosure will be installed by a part-p regd chappy. :D

Sponsored Links
Then let him worry about selection & erection of equipment.

a cupboard in a bathroom is stll in the bathroom.

if it is fixed shut and you need tools to open it (a key is a tool) then it is not.

an airing cupboard would not be much use if the residents couldn't get at it

there are some rules somewhere or other

I need to install a small (6-8M) DIN rail enclosure in the airing cupboard...
"Need," you say?

Is a particular IP rating required?
Not because of where it is.

If it's going to have LV inside then IP32 or better would probably be a good idea. (That's a guess BTW - you should find out if there are requirments for LV enclosures)

Sponsored Links
a cupboard in a bathroom is stll in the bathroom.

if it is fixed shut and you need tools to open it (a key is a tool) then it is not.

an airing cupboard would not be much use if the residents couldn't get at it

there are some rules somewhere or other

A key always in the lock ? :)

Seriously, I thought it was probably part of the bathroom. On that basis the zones would apply, yes? I think it's zone 3, looking at the diagrams - but no sure what the ip requirement (if any) is...

To securespark, there is a specific reason why I am getting the enclosure and the unit to go into it.

if the key's already in the lock, you don't need to get a tool to open it. the key is then just an differently-shaped handle.

Same as if it was held shut with screws, and the screws were all undone so you didn't need to get a screwdriver to it.

if the key's already in the lock, you don't need to get a tool to open it. the key is then just an differently-shaped handle.

Same as if it was held shut with screws, and the screws were all undone so you didn't need to get a screwdriver to it.

Key/Lock/tool acces... the thing has a louvred door so - regardless of definitions - common sense suggests it'll be nearly as damp & steamy on the inside of the door as the outside. I'm not trying to argue it's not in the bathroom.

its not in the bathroom - the handle is the tool (fact)

but as JohnD says - with a louverd door comman sense would mean its not the best solution

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back