12vdc adapter advice

Never known that sort of supply catch fire. They are used in their thousands on set top boxes etc.
That one has a C E mark that looks genuine.

The CE mark doesn't indicate that it has undergone any safety testing, and the TUV marking is not the one issued by TÜV SÜD so likely just faked.

The telltale is no company information on the back which is required for certification.

Sponsored Links
upload_2018-3-5_13-24-58.png

shake-head-no.gif

So what is wrong with a seller in China? I-pads and I-phones are made in China. Do you avoid those as well?

So what is wrong with a seller in China? I-pads and I-phones are made in China. Do you avoid those as well?
What matters is not where they are manufactured, but for whom they are manufactured, and hence who distributes them and takes responsibility for their quality.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I avoid anything not sold by somebody within EU or UK jurisdiction, especially when it comes from somewhere with a solid track record of total dishonesty regarding standards compliance, safety etc.

-pads and I-phones are made in China.
Made there to specifications created by other companies, and in manufacturing plants which have significant inspection and oversight by those paying for the manufacturing.

Entirely unrelated to random cheap tat made down to the lowest price and directly sold by sellers located in China and other countries far away.

Made there to specifications created by other companies, and in manufacturing plants which have significant inspection and oversight by those paying for the manufacturing.

Entirely unrelated to random cheap tat made down to the lowest price and directly sold by sellers located in China and other countries far away.
Dunno, my 2016 MacBook Pro was definitely in the tat category! 4 repairs in 6 months for the same fault before they gave me a 2017 model.

No QC going on there

Dunno, my 2016 MacBook Pro was definitely in the tat category! 4 repairs in 6 months for the same fault before they gave me a 2017 model. No QC going on there
You may just have been unlucky.

A friend of mine used to work for Apple, and one of the main things he was involved with in recent times was the extensive inspection and testing (including dissection and some destructive testing) of significant samples from every batch of Asian-manufactured products which were shipped to them - so, in addition to whatever 'oversight' and QC goes on at the manufacturing sites, they clearly do attempt to ensure that the 'end products' are up to spec. ... and he told me that, whilst he was doing that job, they stopped using a few Asian manufacturing facilities because of results of his batch sample testing.

He also told me that, at least as far as Apple is concerned, there is a strong incentive for the manufacturer to produce good quality products, because they don't pay for a batch until they have 'passed' the batch testing, and they return the entire batch to the manufacturer if more than a certain percentage of tested samples 'fail'. It also seemed that 'failing' could be due to quite subtle manufacturing imperfections, such that many of the products they rejected actually 'worked' satisfactorily (at least 'for the time being').

Kind Regards, John

You may just have been unlucky
I was, and I wasn't. It's a mistake I've made in the past, and swore I wouldn't make again and did. First gen Apple products ALWAYS have a host of problems. I had a 2006 MBP that had CPU chirping which had 4 repairs and was then replaced. And the 2016 it's the keyboards. Both widespread and well documented. Essentially a tiny bit of debris under a keycap stops the key from fully depressing and they were having to replace the entire top case/keyboard and battery assy to repair one key!!

This seems to have been resolved in the 2017 (and apple stores can now remove the keycaps to clean them)

I was, and I wasn't. It's a mistake I've made in the past, and swore I wouldn't make again and did. First gen Apple products ALWAYS have a host of problems. ....
Indeed, and it's by no means restricted to Apple. I learnt that lesson a long time ago, and for years have stood well clear of brand new 'state of the art' products - be they hardware or software. I let others be the 'guinea pigs', and once the 'teething problems' have been resolved I then buy. Not only does that spare me the effects of those teething problems, but also spares me from the 'state of the art' price, that usually tumbles rapidly after a few months.

One of my daughters, along with countless others, is currently suffering from the latest 'hot-off-the-press' (issues a couple of weeks ago) Windows 10 update, which has stopped her USB mouse working.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed, and it's by no means restricted to Apple. I learnt that lesson a long time ago, and for years have stood well clear of brand new 'state of the art' products - be they hardware or software. I let others be the 'guinea pigs', and once the 'teething problems' have been resolved I then buy. Not only does that spare me the effects of those teething problems, but also spares me from the 'state of the art' price, that usually tumbles rapidly after a few months.
Never, ever, go with v1.0 of anything. That is the actual beta test version.

One of my daughters, along with countless others, is currently suffering from the latest 'hot-off-the-press' (issues a couple of weeks ago) Windows 10 update, which has stopped her USB mouse working.
Or even with Windoze products, it would seem, the first of a significant minor version release, the latest 10 is the first of the 18xx versions.

I'm still on Windoze 7, and before that I'd avoided everything after XP.

Currently typing this via Firefox ESR 38.5.1.

It was only partly in jest that Oracle admins used to say that it was only when a version went out of support that it was finally fit for production use....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back