Bathroom Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if this is somewhere buried in another topic or in the guides;

The electric shower in my bathroom is wired in to an RCD [30mA type I believe] but the RCD is downstairs and can only be switched on/off from the downstairs location.

The bathroom lights are switched on/off by a pullcord.

I have tried to fathom out the regs and the zoning of bathroom lighting and electrics. I am aware that a bathroom is a special location and would be using a qualified sparks for the job.

However, is there actually anything to stop the fitting of a normal lightswitch [as opposed to a pullcord] in the bathroom providing it is in ZONE 3??

AND

Is there anything to prevent the RCD being fitted in the actual bathroom within ZONE 3 so the shower can be turned on/off from the actual bathroom??

I may, of course, be confusing the lighting regs and zoning with the requirements of the electrical regs.....

Your expert views would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The electric shower in my bathroom is wired in to an RCD [30mA type I believe] but the RCD is downstairs and can only be switched on/off from the downstairs location.
So?

However, is there actually anything to stop the fitting of a normal lightswitch [as opposed to a pullcord] in the bathroom providing it is in ZONE 3??
No, as long as it isn't going to get splashed.

Is there anything to prevent the RCD being fitted in the actual bathroom within ZONE 3 so the shower can be turned on/off from the actual bathroom??
Not sure if RCDs should be exposed to steam on a regular basis. But why would you want to do that anyway when you've already got a shower isolation switch?

No isolator - only RCD

As for the question 'SO?' , when you get up in the morning, you have to go downstairs to switch the shower on then come back up to have a shower - not entirely convenient.

I suppose the answer would be to place the RCD outside the bathroom but upstairs??

Thanks for the answers so far.

Sponsored Links
I assume this is a 'regs' requirement' is it?

If so, what exactly will that entail the sparky doing?

Reason I ask is that if it involves any new wiring and subsequent chasing/floorboard removal, I may as well not bother starting to decorate until he's done it.

Many Thanks.

It is normally a manufacturers instruction that an isolator is fitted, that and it sounds like the most obvious way for you to achieve what you want. What the electrician needs to do depends on the cable runs etc, if the cable is above and there is enough slack they may be able to fit a pull cord isolator.
Best bet is to have an electrician take a look.

Thanks,

Unfortunately, there is no cabling above. The cabling feeds into the back of the electric shower from downstairs and there is only a small amount of cable 'spare'.

I will ask him about such an 'isolator' but I guess he would have to do some rewiring either to fit a pull-cord [which means having two in the bathroom unless I go for a switch for the lights] or, perhaps, if allowed, a switched FCU between the RCD and the supply.

Silly question but the RCD is, of course, a push in one. Would a pullcord mean having the RCD ON always and the ON/OFF of the shower being controlled by the pullcord???

Much obliged for your assistance.

You can have a switch type isolator fitted as opposed to the pullcord if you so choose. A switched fused connection unit is not suitable. If you have an isolator you can then leave the RCD on, use the isolator to turn the power to the shower on/off.

Thanks very much mate.

Looks like I'll be paying the sparks a bit more!!!

But then you can't short-change peace of mind...

No isolator - only RCD

As for the question 'SO?' , when you get up in the morning, you have to go downstairs to switch the shower on then come back up to have a shower - not entirely convenient.
My apologies - I thought you'd also posted about a faulty shower isolation switch.

Try as I might, I can't even come up with a laughable explanation as to why I thought that. :oops:

I suppose the answer would be to place the RCD outside the bathroom but upstairs??
No - the answer is a proper shower isolator, an RCD is not suitable.

While an isolator is a requirement, why not just leave the RCD on? Theres no harm in leaving the power on to the shower. We have a pull cord but we never ever use it.

ban-all-sheds - no problem.

As for the no RCD just an isolator, the MI state an RCD is needed.

I assume an isolator switch linked in to an RCD to the supply would be the best but I'll ask my sparks.

As for leaving the RCD on, I just cannot bring myself to leave electrics on.

Not so much RCD but OCD!!!

:eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back