Bathroom Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm just starting off a major bathroom refurb and thoughts are turning to the electrics.

I have this Idea. I have a spare slot on the fusebox (RCD trip switchs) and was wondering if it would be worth while running a seperate circuit up to the bathroom to power Under Tile Heating, Aux Towel Rad Heater, Lights (including new lights in loft), Extracter Fan and Possibly a whirl pool bath. Obviously I cant carry out the work myself so would need to get a Part P Sparks in to carry out and certify installation.

A: Is this feasable and a good idea?

B: Any idea on rougth cost?

C: Under Part P can I carry out any of the work such as routing cables?

D: Could the alternitive be take the power supply from the circuit that runs the immersion heater?*

* Water heater protected by a seperate Blue switch with B16 on it and as a rule we dont run the immersion heater.

Sponsored Links
I see that you understand that you are only allowed to do limited electrical work under Part P...

That being the case I'd say that your best course of action would be to find an electrician first and negotiate what you will do and what he will do.

Have a look here for a local Part P approved electrician

http://www.competentperson.co.uk/[/QUOTE]

Well what do ya know?

Had a look at that website and who did I find? The bloke who done my Kitchen for me and just so happens to be a mate of my brothers and a keen carp angler like myself. Sweet!

He's popping round at the weekend to look at what I want doing and quote me for running a new RCD protected feed into the bathroom. He also informed me that the lights have to go on a seperate circuit but would be happy to just switch the whole light circuit over to the RCD side of the Consumer Unit whilst doing the other work.

Sponsored Links
He also informed me that the lights have to go on a seperate circuit but would be happy to just switch the whole light circuit over to the RCD side of the Consumer Unit whilst doing the other work.
Hmm have a think on that one. RCDing lights using the same RCD as all your other circuits is not a good idea, especially bathroom lights. Because one day you will be in the shower naked and dripping wet, and plunged into darkness because your fridge has developed a fault. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back