Bathroom extractor fan and three pole isolatore switch no earth!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have purchased a bathroom extractor fan and there is no terminal for an earth wire. It is an Xpelair DX100HTS. I also have purchased a LAP 3 poles isolator switch which also does not have an earth terminal.

I have wired in the fan from the lighting circuit through the isolator switch.

Is it normal not to have an earth for both fan and isolator switch? What do I do with the earth wires?

Secondly, the isolator switch is outside the bathroom. The wiring instructions that came with the fan are quite vague but mention a fuse on the live. Does this mean I have to have a fused isolation switch and does it have to have a light to indicate it is on/live? 3 pole fused isolation switches are few and far between!

Having read isolator switches to death I am now pretty much confused.

Thanks again all

Sponsored Links
Is it normal not to have an earth for both fan and isolator switch? What do I do with the earth wires?
Yes, it's normal. Just connect the earth wires together in a connector block.

Secondly, the isolator switch is outside the bathroom. The wiring instructions that came with the fan are quite vague but mention a fuse on the live. Does this mean I have to have a fused isolation switch and does it have to have a light to indicate it is on/live? 3 pole fused isolation switches are few and far between!
It is advised to follow the manufacturer's instructions but sometimes there is no real reason for them.
Don't worry about it.

Sponsored Links
Since wired from the lighting circuit it is unlikely that any fuse will rupture before the lighting MCB trips so no real need, however the same fan could be powered from the ring circuit which would then need a FCU.

Permanent wiring must have an earth even if not used. as said just a connector block to keep earth continuity, or if metal back box then the earth clamp of the back box.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back