Bathroom extractor fan.....cost?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We would like to get an extractor fan fitted in a small bathroom in a two bedroom mid 1930s terrace house. After one shower the walls are streaming with water and the small windows does not pull out any of the steam.

Is it worth getting one fitted and how much does one cost to install?

The house has no cavity walls and is made of red brick, the loft is boarded out and used for storage. I have had mixed thoughts on this from several electricians and very mixed costings for the work.

All help welcome.

Mandy :help:

Sponsored Links
Hi Actiongirl,
If installed in zone 1 (best place to remove the steam) it must be 12 volt and the transformer should have 3 pole isolation outside the bathroom.
Core drilling the wall, wiring isolator and installing fan circa. £200 + £70 if a ladder needed for fixing outside grill.
It could be cheaper if outside zone 1 also depends if you opt for humidity control, manual or run on timer.

What were the options given?

I would avoid a 4" fan in the wall, it will be insufficient.

How big is the room? You need to calculate the room volume in order to work out the correct fan size.

You need to ensure there is a gap under the door big enough to replace the air extracted.

I swear by S & P in-line fans, but they are not cheap.

The price very much depends on what the sparks have quoted for.

You need something more than an open window, otherwise you'll have mould in no time.

Sponsored Links
If installed in zone 1 ... it must be 12 volt
Thats not true.
It must be stated suitable for zone 1 by the manufacturer, i.e. IPX4 (or IPX5).
As always forgotten - think electric shower.

Yes ok, but I was going on the safety side with 12 v. also the cost / price choice for IPX4 or IPX5 is not that good.
Still reckon that a transformer next to the isolator makes for a safe & neat job.
Showers are usually on RCD / RCBO. Circuits for lights / Fans are often not.

I have found these to be good

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SLTDK160T.html

Also available without a timer, and in a 250 cubic metre/hour version.

It will mean fitting onto your loft floor, but I think its worth it, and they are far more powerful than any compact wall mounted unit. And it also won't have noisy flaps outside.

Looks like the one I linked to is the same as the brand securespark recommended. Seems they trade under a few names, including Vent Axia

Yes, it is certainly worth getting pone fitted, esp. if you are suffering such condensation.

I put one into the bathroom in our old house when I did the refit. Mine was a pretty standard 4 inch fan mounted in the loft above the bathroom, venting out through the roof (bit of soil pipe with a cowl on top.) worked absolutely fine.

I controlled ours via a humidistat, which generally worked well (also had a manual on switch as well) The humidstat was perfect, it would occasionally nuisance trip, but with some careful and gradual adjustment I got a good setting. a more expensive stat that did temperature setback to allow for changes as it cools would probably have worked a little better)

Preferred it to a timer as it then it wouldn't come on every time someone went in there (also had WC), and in the daytime no need to turn light on, so it might not come on at all after the shower.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back