Bathroom extractor fan double pole switch placement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first stab at installing a timed extractor fan in the bathroom ceiling.
My fan has double electrical insulation(Class II) and therefore the instructions call for a double pole switch - no earth. But from reading here I think I need a triple to isolate L,N and switched live?

I don't suppose I can mount the double/triple pole in the loft? If not it will have to go in the hallway which seems like an odd place and will look ugly. Could put it near the consumer unit downstairs but would have to route long lengths of cable.

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
This is my first stab at installing a timed extractor fan in the bathroom ceiling.
My fan has double electrical insulation(Class II) and therefore the instructions call for a double pole switch - no earth. But from reading here I think I need a triple to isolate L,N and switched live?

I don't suppose I can mount the double/triple pole in the loft? If not it will have to go in the hallway which seems like an odd place and will look ugly. Could put it near the consumer unit downstairs but would have to route long lengths of cable.

Thanks for any advice!

You need to follow the guidance given by the extractor fan manufacturer - they are generally the same but some are different - particularly in terms of whether you need to have a dp switch and/or three pole isolator or a 3/5Amp FCU as a means of isolation.

Check out Wiki for various circuits or if you look at my profile you can see several extractor fan circuits (although they do refer to very specifc circuits - e.g. loop in at the switch).

You can house you dp/tp isolator in the loft - but remember you will need to be able to access it - I fitted both an FCU and three pole isolator in a loft recently but it was a walk in loft -e.g. easy to access.

Usual places to find the fan switch (as you say, a three-pole job specially designed for the job, often with a little fan logo on) are:
- over the door outside the bathroom
- over the door insdie the bathroom (if far enough away from the wet area - - see the Wiki for such rules)
- on the wall or in the ceiling next to fan (if far enough away etc)

First option is probably best as saves any issues about bathroom zones, but not always possible for a retrofit without damaging the decor.

Putting the isolator any distance from the bathroom is next to pointless - whatever electrical purpose they serve, the main use is to turn off the fan overrun in the middle of the night. However quiet a fan is, it's very noisy at 2am when someone goes for a pee!!!

PJ

Usual places to find the fan switch (as you say, a three-pole job specially designed for the job, often with a little fan logo on) are:
- over the door outside the bathroom
- over the door insdie the bathroom (if far enough away from the wet area - - see the Wiki for such rules)
- on the wall or in the ceiling next to fan (if far enough away etc)

Where do you fit the dp 3/5Amp FCU?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back