Extractor fan without 3 pole

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an extractor fan on it's own (not linked with light). The switch is in the bathroom, the extractor fan is in a cupboard not accessed from the bathroom and the supply is in the loft above. The current setup is actually a mess of cables but essentially comes down to:

1st floor light circuit->3A FSU (double pole)->FAN (N and perm L)->Ceiling switch (Switch L and Perm L)

As far as I can see, the circuit can be isolated at the FSU. Lighting is also on an RCD.

Sponsored Links
The timer on the fan is only about 5 mins. So you get out shower, pull cord and fan goes off. The extractor is only used for the shower cubicle, so it's pulled after exiting. We've never had any confusion.

There used to be a light on the circuit but we had this removed when we had some modifications to have a relay switch off the electric boiler when the shower is in use. The relay and the light now come on then the shower isolator is pulled (enabling the shower to be turned on). This cuts our the electric boiler by breaking the thermostat loop. The light is needed as a visual reminder because forgetting to pull the isolator will leave the boiler "off". So after the light was [replaced and] disconnected the fan was left on a simple bathroom pull switch..

I got it sorted Here thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back