Bathroom extractor fan in celing as opposed to wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Qualified electrician recommended locating fan in ceiling as he didn't want to bore through brick wall, dust in grout etc etc (entirely understandable as he's not a builder). He also pointed out that the lintel above the bathroom window means that he would have to locate it lower down that wall.

He said he would puut ducting in the loft which would deposit the vapour and smell through a gap in the eaves.

I've no doubt this is fine but er indoors seems to think that this risks condenation, damp being transferred to loft. She's also worried that the discharge would somehow affect the wall underneath the eaves where everything is removed.

Does she have a point?

Incidentally, although cost of supply and fit in the ceiling is obviously a lot cheaper than the wall option I'm quite happy to pay the extra if it results in a better job.

Thanks for your time.

Longshanks

Sponsored Links
I have my extractor fan in the ceiling above my bath with the fan in the loft and ducting gong through the soffit. It works very well. Any condensation will drip into the bath or through the exterior vent in the soffit.

It was easy to fit as the ceiling is plaster board and the soffit is upvc.

Andy

Sponsored Links
Go through the ceiling and use an in-line fan, then any condensation should be on the downwind side of the fan rather than dripping back into the bath and on to whoever's in there - bound to be the other half who'll then give you stick when cold drips drip on her!! Going out through the soffitt works very well, but don't have a long run of ducting, otherwise the average fan won't be strong enough to vent it all, and it *will* condense in the tube and cause problems.

PJ

Yes use a duct fan as mentioned I have fitted loads and never had a problem with condensation anywhere. My tip is to suspend the fan from the roof trusses rather than fix to the joists then no vibration and hardly any noise.

as postscript says... use an inline fan in the loft and elevate it so that the duct from the exhaust from the fan is all downhill to the soffit. but dont allow an electricain to just push the ducting into the eave, make sure its fully vented out of the soffit. I see so many installations where the duct is pushed into the eaves from the loft side and a dummy vent fitted under the soffit.. If you have a gable end the sparky can core drill through that from the loft, no worry about dust in bathroom there. A good sparky should not shun core drilling, even if it is a ball ache

Many thanks for these helpful replies.

Will speak to sprak tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Hi

Just out of interest what's the difference between a normal extractor and an "in line" fan?

An in-line fan is fitted in the duct between the fan & the outside vent

Thanks

I know I'm being thick here but how can the in line fan be fitted in the duct between... Doesn't that suggest two fans?

The arrangement for an in-line fan system consists of a grille in the bathroom, an in-line fan in the loft space and a grille in the soffit, with a length of ducting connected from the bathroom grille to the fan and another length of ducting connected from the fan to the soffit grille. A fan fitted with an over-run timer is normally recommended in a bathroom, to clear the moisture-laden air.

Normal fan:
images

Duct fan:
MANID100T.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back