Bathroom extractor Fan installation question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all ,

I hope you can help with the following.

I would like to fit an extraction fan in the bathroom due to condensation issues with the shower.

The house originally had an in line fan,but no has been clad on the ceiling with PVC cladding and the pull switch and opening for the fan has been clad over and lost.

Would I be better to reconnect the existing circuit if I can locate it

or

would I be able to tap into the lighting circuit in the bathroom.

The reason I ask the second option is that the loft is fully boarded and I have been unable to locate the original fan circuit.

Also do humidistat fans work without the need for a bathroom pull switch ?

Many thanks in advance for any help given.

Glenn

Sponsored Links
I would like to fit an extraction fan in the bathroom due to condensation issues with the shower.
If you have condensation problems, this points to more fundamental issues. What are the problems?
Fans do not stop condenstaion. They may very slowly help dry the room or may draw in additional humid air.

Is there a window in the bathroom?
Is there a lot of humid air in the rest of the house? Cooking in sealed kitchen, clothes drying indoors, lots of plants, lots of people.

Would I be better to reconnect the existing circuit if I can locate it
I suppose as it's already there.

would I be able to tap into the lighting circuit in the bathroom.
Yes.

The reason I ask the second option is that the loft is fully boarded and I have been unable to locate the original fan circuit.
How will you run the cables and/or fit the fan, then?

Also do humidistat fans work without the need for a bathroom pull switch ?
Yes, but they don't work very well - as above.

Hi All , with the window open we still have a big issue with the condensation problem, obviously this is not viable during the winter months.

I have the wiring diagram from the fan I am thinking of using but have a couple of questions regarding this as it has confused me even more.

My ideal scenario would be that the fan is permanently on (wired to an isolating fused switch ran from the lighting circuit) and the fan would automatically run when the humidity level exceeds the set level.

upload_2017-8-2_14-47-51.png

It looks like I still have to have a double pole pull switch to power the fan (if the switch is outside the bathroom would a 5 amp fused switch be suitable).

Apologies for my ignorance but I thought I would only require the the Double pull isolating switch but the diagram has another optional switch for the Timer function is that necessary.

Am I correct that I would have to tap into the lighting circuit junction box before the bathroom lighting on/off switch for the fan to be able to run when the lights are off (utilising the humidistat feature of the fan) .

I hope someone can explain the wiring of this fan in a simple and straight forward manner for me.

Once again I appreciate the time taken to help me with this .

Best Regards
Glenn

Sponsored Links
It looks like I still have to have a double pole pull switch to power the fan (if the switch is outside the bathroom would a 5 amp fused switch be suitable).

No you don't need a fused switch. The lighting circuit is already fused at 5 amps or 6 amps with a MCB. A 6 amp MCB will trip before a 5 amp fuse blows.

Hi Winston , thanks for the reply that is really helpful.

Please can I just clarify the following then .

If I wire the fan into the lighting circuit before the switch for the bathroom lights would it achieve what I am looking for ( the fan is permanently on and the fan would automatically run when the humidity level exceeds the set level.)

Would I need to connect the live to the timer in that scenario as the timer would be defunct and I would be relying on the humidistat to deal with the humidity issue.

Many thanks once again for your help with this .

Best regards

Glenn

An isolating switch would still be useful. Just not a fused one. No reason to connect the timer if you are not using it.

Thanks for all your help Winston ,

You're a star .

Much appreciated

Now just to get the loft boards and insulation up , and try to figure out what goes where (if going on previous experience with this house it'll not be straight forward

Best Regards and Many Thanks

Glenn

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back