Bathroom extractor fan keeps dying

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - I've got a recurring problem with this bathroom extractor fan I was hoping someone could help with. One was already installed in my bathroom; I had some building work done (not on that room of circuit) and during the work it blew. I put it down to all the dust and crap that was around and replaced like for like. The replacement then blew a couple of months later; I replaced it myself at the time but it was all checked by our electrician when they did some wiring work for the previously mentioned extension. And now it's just stopped working again! I have always replaced it with the same as the external housing is all there and I can just slide it in, but there's clearly something up. Although it has 5 stars on screwfix some are complaining of similar issues. I can't see how I could have wired it in any different; it's just coming off the ceiling lighting pull cord rose. I have read some people saying you should be adding a fuse but I can't understand why you would need to do that, and the instructions don't mention that either. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be going wrong? Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Can you draw a diagram of precisely how it is connected to the wiring?

And when you said "blew", was there actually damage to the circuit board?

Have you wired up the old fans via a plug to see if they work on a different (confirmed) supply?

It could be the wires weren't all making a good positive connection with the terminals.

Sponsored Links
A double pole fused spur having contact separation of at least 3mm in all pole must be used and fitted with a 3A fuse,,,,This is taken from the manrose fitting instructions for that model hhttps://www.manrose.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/doc/FandWs/077125.pdf

This is taken from the manrose fitting instructions
We have been here before. Those instructions are guidance only and do not have to be followed parrot fashion. Think what happens in other countries where FCUs are not available nor compliant.

We have been here before. Those instructions are guidance only and do not have to be followed parrot fashion. Think what happens in other countries where FCUs are not available nor compliant.
The OP said that it didnt say anything in the instructions about using a 3 amp fused spur and it clearly does....also we are not in another country and they are available

The instructions also state:

upload_2022-3-3_21-35-45.png

Is that true?

Plus:

upload_2022-3-3_21-44-40.png

So, fuse and isolator not mandatory

As I said the instructions are guidance only and are often wrong anyway. In this case IEE regulations is wrong. The IEE has not existed for many years.

As regards a fuse, the fuse is to protect the cable not the fan. Cable small enough to require 3 amp protection is not legal to use so a 3 amp fuse is not required.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back