Bathroom Extractor Fan Recommendation (Over Run & Quiet)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Could anybody please recommend me an extractor fan for the bathroom? There is so much choice, I'm completely lost! Screwfix seem to have 120+ alone!

Criteria is...

- Wall mounted
- Quiet as possible
- Manual on (with over run)
- Suitable for small bathroom (2m x 2m) with shower

I don't want anything linked to the light switch, or with linked to a humidistat. Simply something that I can switch on when I want it (ideally on the unit itself to save putting in a new switch), that will run for 30-60 mins afterwards before switching itself off. The bathroom is directly below the attic, so if it's something I can tap into the lighting circuit for power that would be ideal.

Not too worried about the cost, happy to pay for quality.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
I don't want anything linked to the light switch,

why not?

At what point do you think users of the room will turn the fan on?

Are you hoping to save wear and tear by minimising its use?

If somebody enters the bathroom, set the fan on its 30 minute journey, has a shower and leaves the room, replete with wet walls, wet tray, wet floor and wet towels after 29 minutes, will the overrun time be sufficient?

When a person uses the bathroom and can't be bothered to turn the fan on, what will happen?

Also

Have you already got a hole for the extractor duct?

Is it in the wall or the ceiling?

What diameter is it?

why not?

At what point do you think users of the room will turn the fan on?

Are you hoping to save wear and tear by minimising its use?

If somebody enters the bathroom, set the fan on its 30 minute journey, has a shower and leaves the room, replete with wet walls, wet tray, wet floor and wet towels after 29 minutes, will the overrun time be sufficient?

When a person uses the bathroom and can't be bothered to turn the fan on, what will happen?

I've never really seen the point of linking to the light switch really, unless it's a room without natural light. For a good half of the year it's light enough in that room to not need the light on for morning showers etc, and there is also the annoyance of the fan running on when nipping to the loo for a wee in the night. If people aren't disciplined enough to flick a switch / pull a cord when having a shower... I guess they'll be the ones with the damp / mould to sort out. I'd be tempted by a humidistat for convenience, but a lot of reviews I read seemed to complain about these stopping working fairly quickly.

Also

Have you already got a hole for the extractor duct?

Is it in the wall or the ceiling?

What diameter is it?

Currently I've a large hole! I took the plastic grille off the airvent to find an airbrick the other side of the cavity, which had been stuffed full of rockwool. This is pretty much at the ceiling height at the end of the bath without the shower head.

upload_2019-9-16_20-33-54.png

It's big enough to fit a large fan then. The typical 100mm builders fan shifts only about 80 cu.m/hr so is insufficient for a room with a shower.

Why do you think it will be an "annoyance" to have a fan running at night? Do you know how quiet the modern ball-bearing fans are? A mouldy or stinky room will be much more annoying.

How high above floor level is that hole?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
This is a good-quality 6" fan (duct diamer)
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SLS300CRZ.html
It is powerful enough for a room with a shower and has an adjustable timer.

The faceflate is 214mm Sq
so you will have to make up some kind of moisture resistant board, or brick up the hole round the duct. Tilt the duct slightly so that any condensation or rain runs outside.

There are some cheaper ones that are not as good

The same company makes good 100mm fans of much less power, but you would need to run them pretty well all day to keep the room dry.

Beware the ones with automatic shutters that open or close with a loud clack

A 150mm cowl vent on the outside will keep the weather out and reduce wind noise.

The height above floor level is important, as it will be mounted above the end of the bath. How high is it?

Why do you think it will be an "annoyance" to have a fan running at night? Do you know how quiet the modern ball-bearing fans are? A mouldy or stinky room will be much more anoying.

How high above floor level is that hole?

I'd have to measure it, but see below for context.

I've only ever really experienced rather loud and annoying fans rattling on. If it's something not particularly audible from outside the room with the door closed then perfect. I see a lot of the sites give the db reading, but it's hard to know what to trust or what that is like in real life application.

upload_2019-9-16_21-7-31.png

I have the 100mm Soler and Palau, rated at 26.5 dB (A)
I've fitted several, and consider them supremely quiet. it's a good brand with ball-bearing motors. There are a few similar brands that might be as good, but I don't know.

You can hear it in the room if you have the window shut and no taps running. Like the noise of a faint breeze in high trees.

From outside the room, with the door shut, you simply can't hear it, even with your ear pressed to the door.

The 150mm I recommend for you is louder, but far far quieter than older models of cheap fan (especially when their plastic bearings are worn out). The cowl vent also doesn't rattle like the common cheap ones with a sort of miniature venetian blind.

There are even quieter ducted ones that go above the ceiling, but they are bigger and have to vent out through a duct which I gather you haven't got.

This is the worst one I know
https://www.screwfix.com/p/manrose-mg100t-12w-bathroom-extractor-fan-with-timer-white-240v/62530
41dBA, but much more when the dry plastic bearings are worn.

Timers normally limited to 20 mins. Manrose tend to be cr*p in my experience , never had one last more than 6 months , one failed after 2 weeks .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back