Bathroom extractor fan wiring colours? Vents 100 MTP

K

Klaus_K

I have just bought a new extractor fan to replace one that has gone belly up in my bathroom (Zone 3).

Unfortunately, the new fan has two connectors that are coloured white and blue - but I don't know which is live and which is neutral.

The white side does feed to the red pole of an LED, but I'm not 100% sure if that is enough proof.

The manual doesn't provide any indication of what the colours mean.

The fan is a "Vents 100 MTP", if that helps.

Thanks for any info.

Sponsored Links
Can you post a photo of the terminations?
How many wires do you ahve to connect up, is it 2 or 3 (plus earth)

Sponsored Links
View media item 7730
As you can see, it has one blue connector and one white connector. As I already mentioned, the white connector seems to be connected to the red side of the LED.

My supply has a neutral, a switched live and an unswitched live, plus earth.

I just want to connect the neutral plus unswitched, since the fan already includes a PIR sensor to control when the fan gets switched on, plus a timer that controls how long it stays on.

Are you sure that's an LED and not a neon?

Because if it's an LED my first reaction would be that you've got an ELV fan, not an LV one.

In any event, failure to provide adequate installation instructions is an offence under the Sale and Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002, so if you want to return it for a refund you can.

If you want to keep it, and you're sure it is LV not ELV then it won't matter which way round you connect it.

I think it must be a neon - my supplier has now got back to me and said it doesn't matter which way round it is connected - and a mains-voltage LED would be unusual in any case.

I can confirm that the fan is mains voltage - 220-240v.

Now to wire the thing up and see how long we can take it switching on whenever we walk into the room :oops:

Next step will be to use the switched live, I guess.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back