Bathroom extractor fan with timer, pullcord, humidistat help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I got a really good deal on a replacement for my knackered old extractor fan the other day, and picked one up that has all the features including run-on timer and humidistat. Only thing is it has a pullcord and I am trying to use it with an external light switch instead. I tried to get the one with timer and humidistat without a pullcord but it was sold out.

I have it setup right now with switch live and neutral connections, and it goes on and off with the bathroom light. This is fine, but I wanted to make use of the timers.

I tried to remove the pullcord switch, and connected the constant live, switched and neutral, but the fan and bathroom lights stayed on no matter if I switched them off at the external switch, so I reverted to just using it so that it comes on with the lights.

Is there anything I can do to turn this into a normal timed fan without pullcord?

Thank you for any help.

Stuart

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you connected the switched live to the permanent live.

You can not connect both together since that essentially bypasses the light switch. Can you take a good resolution picture of the fan connections and post it on here?

Not a popular question for some reason.

A pull-cord model is only a non-pull-cord model with a pull-cord!!!
It must be possible to do what you want.

What is the make and model no.?

Sponsored Links
I tried to remove the pullcord switch, and connected the constant live, switched and neutral, but the fan and bathroom lights stayed on no matter if I switched them off at the external switch

You need three connections on the fan ( L SL N ) You can not connect switched live and constant live together otherwise you get exactly the symptoms you observed - fan and lights permanently on!

What does the pullcord do?

Does it turn the fan off when it would otherwise be on via the light or humidistat or timer?

Or does it turn it on when it would otherwise not be on, i.e. when no light or humidity has triggered it?

If the former remove it and join the wires going to it with a piece of choc-block.

If the latter remove it and isolate the wires going to it in separate pieces of choc-block.

Or just leave the switch there and cut the string off.

You need three connections on the fan ( L SL N ) You can not connect switched live and constant live together otherwise you get exactly the symptoms you observed - fan and lights permanently on!

Hi there, that's what I meant I did. I made the three connections to the fan (L SL and N), and when I did that I had the lights and fan on constantly no matter if I switched it off at the wall or not.

Sounds like you connected the switched live to the permanent live.

You can not connect both together since that essentially bypasses the light switch. Can you take a good resolution picture of the fan connections and post it on here?

Hi there. I connected the switched live and permanent live separately. I will take a photo tomorrow so you can see what it looks like. The connections are L, LT, and N.

Hi there. I connected the switched live and permanent live separately. I will take a photo tomorrow so you can see what it looks like. The connections are L, LT, and N.
I've looked at the instructions but they don't show any wires so-

L - Live
LT - Switched live
N - Neutral

If you have connected like this how is the fan working?
Is there a 'link' in the connector block? i.e. a wire from one terminal to another. If there is then remove it.

A picture would be good.

When you connect live, switched live & neutral to the appropriate terminals, what does the fan do?

What makes it start running?

What makes it stop running?

What dies the pull-switch do to it?

I need to reconnect again tonight to have another go, but when I originally connected them to the appropriate terminals, the fan operated as soon as I flipped the consumer unit back on, but nothing stopped it from running. The pull switch made the indicator light go on and off but nothing else. The external switch did not turn the light or fan off either.

Nice pics of the Fan.
How about CLEAR shots of the terminals and labels?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back