bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi our bathroom extractor has recently been working intermittently and now has stopped altogether. It is a loft mounted expelair centrifugal. I have bought a replacement but going to wire it up and the old unit has 3 wires going to it and the new one only requires live and neutral. Do I just not use the earth?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
If your new one doesn't require an earth, then just connect L and N and put a connector block on the end of the earth wire and position out of the way.

HOWEVER, on the present one - make sure the earth IS earth and not that it is being wrongly used as a Line(Live) wire.
Perhaps a picture would help if you are not sure.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
What COLOURS do you have at the old fan? (Not that colours prove anything, but gave an indication as to what you have - eg fan with over-run.)

I’ll have to check but the current fan doesn’t have an over run just an on off switch outside the bathroom next to the light switch

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back