Bathroom Extractor Fans - Regulation clarification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There seems to be a lot of mixed information online about bathroom extractors, I was wondering if someone could help me clarify the situation.

From what I can gather, the regulations state that in a bathroom there needs to be a circulation of air of at least 15l/s. I assume this is the throughput of the extractor when it's on, but when does it need to be on? My intention was to get a humidity sensitive extractor, to only extract when the room is humid rather than needlessly blasting hot air out of the room. Most uses of the bathroom are people going in to have a wee, which really doesn't require the extractor to come on.

The electrician was doing some work yesterday and stated that the fan must be connected to the light and set to come on when the light is on, and also be on a timer and run for at least 10 minutes after the light is turned off. I can't find anything this specific in the regs, and was hoping someone with in depth knowledge could help.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
I've got a feeling they (isolation switches) are required under Part P anyway if this is part of an extension and notifiable works (though am no electrician so not 100% sure).

Sponsored Links
I've got a feeling they're required under Part P anyway if this is part of an extension and notifiable works (though am no electrician so not 100% sure).
As far as I'm aware, it's got nothing to do with Part P, it's required in Part F. But exactly what's required I'm not so sure.

I've got a feeling they're required under Part P
Of course Part P applies, that wasn't what you said, you said they're required.

Anyway, this really doesn't matter, what I'm looking for is a clarification of the regulations. It doesn't matter what section they fall under.

An extractor with a capacity of 15 l/s extract rate is required.

It only has to work and be available for use. How it is used or if it is used at all, is not part of any regulations

The requirement is to provide a rate of air change. It can be achieved in different ways. A fan connceted to the light with an over-run is one way. The problem with humidity fans is that they tend to just run and run all the time.

I've got a feeling they (isolation switches) are required under Part P anyway ...
Part P doesn't say anything about it.
Guidance notes state that one way to comply with Part P (have you read it, it's only one paragraph ?) is to comply with BS7671 (aka the Wiring Regs). The wiring regs say that the manufacturers instructions should be complied with, and most manufacturers specify that there should be an isolation switch - hence a switch is required if you wish to use compliance with BS7671 as an easy route to demonstrate compliance with Part P.

If you can demonstrate that without the isolator there is "Reasonable provision ... in the design and installation ... in order to protect persons operating, maintaining or altering the installation from fire or injury." then Part P has been complied with. Seriously, that is the entirety of Part P (less a few words to make it read right in this context) !

No I've not read Part P for about 6 years, I don't need to, it tells the electrician he must comply with the BS and near as damn that means he's gonna have to fit an isolator doesn't it? So does that not mean that in order to comply with Part P an isolator is pretty much required? Jeez, another halfwit! :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back