Bathroom extractor fans with humidistats

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We're in the middle of a loft build and need to make certain decisions during the 1st fix to help things later on.

Our current bathroom had an extractor fan wired to the lights which came on with the lights. This could be annoying as we only really need the extractor fan while we are having a bath or shower. Not when using the toilet in the middle of the night.

With the above in mind I was considering a fan with a humidistat. Presumably this would still be wired to the lights but would only activate if the relative humidity was above a threshold. Hopefully this would prevent the fan activating when someone uses the toilet in the middle of the night.

The fan I'm considering is the Silent Tornado ST100HT. Has anyone got any experience with this fan specifically and with humidistat fans in general?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Turned my humidistat fan off because it would run for hours after a shower. Fan also has a timer option which runs depending on how long you are in there. i.e. quick night visit it goes off straight away, 15 minute shower it will run on for 10 minutes or so.

Put in an isolater which allows you to switch it off.
An isolator will be fitted outside the bathroom door. I was just hoping for a smarter way to activate the fan rather than just whenever the light is on. Since we have a window in the bathroom, we won't even need the light on most mornings when using the shower!

Sponsored Links
So basically it sounds like humidistats can be problematic so either trigger the fan with the light or trigger it manually with a cord-pull.

I think I may opt for the light and then at night we can switch a mirror light on if we're only using the toilet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back