Bathroom extractor not working. Automatic type

J

John.

Hello
The fan is not turning on as we enter the bathroom, use the shower etc. It is fully automatic and was installed about 4 years ago. It is auto on/off with run on and a humidity sensor I think

Is it worth calling an electrician out as most likely they wont have the parts or just replace with a new one. The electrics are about 7 years old.

Its an expensive fan cost about 120 if I recall well. Are there cheaper ones around does not need to be chrome and searching for one it looks the sizes are similar to many other extractor fans.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
First things first.
Is there a fan isolator switch that may have been turned off accidentally?

Then.... you say the fan is "automatic". What turns it on? Is it the light being switched on, or someone entering the room, the water in the shower flowing, etc?

Once we know those things we can suggest, maybe, the next steps. Dont but a new fan yet, it may not be faulty. If it does need replacing, don't buy a cheap one, it may be expensive for a reason......

Is there a PIR mounted somewhere that detects entry into the room?

Sponsored Links
I too have a humidistat fan in my upstairs bathroom that is only set up to run when the humidity is "high".

My bathroom downstairs has a fan that has a humidistat and PIR. Walk in the room and it (annoyingly) turns on.

Which do you have?

Thank you all, not sure if it has a PIR but the thing turns on as soon as someone walks into the room - and or runs on with steams. As the house is modern and heated, it never run on because the room was cold etc.

Re the PIR must have one how else could it work out that someone had entered the room

Thanks again all.

I have the one as amentioned above ie on entry and then runs on subject to humidity

Anyone?

What would the labour rate be in London if I supplied same type?

pir built in

The model you linked to, makes no mention of it having a PIR or humidity sensor. Perhaps yours is another version.

Methods of triggering such fans include PIR, humidity, ceiling light being turned on, or basic manual control - or a combination thereof, often involving a run-on timer one triggered

The model you linked to, makes no mention of it having a PIR or humidity sensor. Perhaps yours is another version.

Methods of triggering such fans include PIR, humidity, ceiling light being turned on, or basic manual control - or a combination thereof, often involving a run-on timer one triggered
PIR is certainly in there as it used to turn on as someone entered the room. Having read the small print you are right about it not having the humdity thingy, I thought it did.

The tapwarehouse page linked to does, indeed, not mention anything other than a timer but, from the manufactuer's website ...
... There are three different models in the range: Safety Extra Low Voltage (SELV), with adjustable timer, or with adjustable timer and a clever humidity sensor that activates the fan automatically, before condensation has time to build.
Choose from White, Chrome or Matt Silver. ....
Hush Chrome
  • Timer – 33100
  • Timer & Humidity Sensor – 33200
  • SELV – 34600
... so. there appears be be one with timer+humidisdtst, but no mention of PIR.

John: do you know which model you have (33100, 33200 or 34600) ?

Kind Regards, John

Really sorry folks. It is the 3100 type and turns on by light switch. I've been away for a while and wrongly assumed it was automatic as it is often on when i enter but its a case of someone has been in the bathroom before.

So it is the HiB 3100 turned on off via light switch and has a timer.
Looking at the fans yesterday, the one we have in the bathroom is chrome but I noted one in plastic colour is a lot cheaper and does the same thing and exactly the same size ie 158mm square and 30mm deep.
Sorry again.

The issue with not having a PIR, in a bathroom with no window is the light always has to be used to trigger the PIR. We have a decent sized window in our bathroom, so often it gets used without the light during the day, but the PIR triggers the the fan and if necessary, the humidity sensor can keep it running.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back