Bathroom extractor problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've had a look at other extractor wiring problems and nothing comes up like this problem.

I've wired up a timed extractor (and isolator) using three core and earth into the junction box of the lighting circuit. Everything works fine except the fan turns on when the light is off and turns off(after the minute over run) when the light is turned on.

It's probably an easy fix but I can't see why this is happening?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
My guess is that the neutral wire is not really connected to neutral.

How did you determine which connection was what in your "junction box".??

Thanks for the reply.

I connected the live/brown to the four live/Browns, the neutral/grey to the four neutrals/blues and the black to the brown-blue switch live.

Sponsored Links
Yeah, switch live in l1, perm live l2 and neutral in N in the isolator, then matched the correct wires to the labels in the fan.

Sure I must have missed something obvious but can't figure out what?

Do you have a multimeter, or a two probe voltage tester to check that what you have at the JB & fan are what you think you have...

What does it do with the bulb removed.
Just checked and without the bulb in the fan doesn't come on at all
As we suspected. It sounds very much as if TTC was right at the start, in saying that what you thought was a neutral at the junction box is not actually a neutral. A photo of the wiring inside that JB might possibly help us.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back