Bathroom Extractor Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there Im looking for help really as Im wanting to put an extractor in a bathroom for a plumber friend of mine however they dont want it on when the light comes on just on its own switch .
Now im gathering that I can use a pull cord switch isolator to do the job however I must bring a new feed from the board as the toilet has a flat concrete roof and I cant tap into the lights . So I got go under the flooor then cut a channel up the far wall and in a bit on the ceiling for the pull cord . Do I need a spur aswell or not ?
Havnt chosen an extractor yet just gonna get a very basic one just need a bit of help really selecting the right materials and how I go about the job? Ill be greatly appreciative for any response

cheers Lads

Sponsored Links
Thought some more on this and he said he wouldnt mind even a seperate switch outside the door for it forgetting about the ceiling swithc but what would I get...... a 20a double pole isolator outside the door to turn the fan off or on ? would this be enough if so what cables would I need from the switch to the fan cos all I would want it to do is turn it off or on , Just a 2.5 T&E from the board to the dp switch then a 2.5 T&Eup to t he extractor .....

any theories really needed............

dont do it in 2.5 mate,you wont get it in the fan terminals.

not being rude,but do you think you are competant enough for this install?

how will you notify?

You can be as rude as you like mate no worries this is in Ireland needed the cash were doing up a house and I have done lots of electrical work beleive it or not however never any extractor fan in a bathroom so thought Id ask the experts for help....... ill send a 1.5 over then so but i wouldnt need a 3 core would I .........

Sponsored Links
You can be as rude as you like mate no worries this is in Ireland needed the cash were doing up a house and I have done lots of electrical work beleive it or not however never any extractor fan in a bathroom so thought Id ask the experts for help....... ill send a 1.5 over then so but i wouldnt need a 3 core would I .........

lol mate,got no idea if the regs are different on the emerald isle tbh :D

over here we take a 1.5 or 1mm cable off the lighting to the isolator,then over to the fan.fit a high level isolator(fcu)in a safe zone or outside the bathroom.then fit a fan with a pullswitch on it.this will look neater when it finished.

if a separate circuit then just run back to CU instead of coming of lights.

fit a backdraft shutter to the ducting for the fan if it doesnt have one,or your mates bathroom will keep filling up with cold air.you wont be popular then. :LOL:

dont forget to bond the lights

cheers for your help mate I know what the plan is usually here but the fact is I cant do anything on the ceiling as its a thin solid slab roof the....... fan is going to be at the oppposite end as you walk in... its gonna be through what is now a window but will be bricked up around the fan .....
So if anyone has a theory on the best way still to do this I suppose then like you said I could just have an FCU outside the door with a cable running under the floor over to the end wall and up to the fan and just turn it on and off from outside the door this is actually what their asking for I was just wondering If its ok to do this cos I cant put an FCU on the wall can I as ithe fan is next to the bath .....

Oh I see what you mean a high level Isolator from the C.U and the fan with a pull switch allready fitted onto it yeah I see now excuse me . Yeah that would be a lot more tidy

exactly that mate.make it an lv fan if over the bath.put the transformer near the fcu,then your 1mm cable will only be carrying 12volts through the bathroom ;)

What mount the transformer on the wall ? Dont know how that would look are they big ? Well the fan will be about a metre to the left of the bath and high up near the ceiling so quite away from the bath I just dont know If ill even find a LV Fan as there is only like 2 whole sale electrical places and one naff DIY centre so I may have my hands tied in using a normal 240 v fan .......Prob best I plan for this and If I find a LV one with a pull switch great ...........when you say FCU isolator do you just mean a standard fused spur

well if its a metre away from the bath then lob a normal one in.

fcu is a spur.trying to get used to calling it that purely for posts on here.its hard though!

its actually a sfcu cos its switched :D

Cheers mate for your help .......On connecting up the fan tho it should be just straightforward shouldnt it as if its one with its own pull switch it should just be LNE in ?

Cheers mate for your help .......On connecting up the fan tho it should be just straightforward shouldnt it as if its one with its own pull switch it should just be LNE in ?

should be,lots of fans out there,some have humidistat overide even on a pullcord,so watch what you buy.no need for selv due to lack of rcd,your not going to gain anything.

that said,i will use selv wherever i can get away with it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back