Bathroom extractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please I need some guidance thru the different options I have read

I have read many of the forums and understand I am taking a risk but I am confused as to how I should complete wiring a bathroom extractor fan.

Thus far:

have taken a feed from a lighting circuit junction box to a switched FCU - wired like a shaving point. Q - should I be using a FCU anyway?)

the intention was then to take the wiring from FCU to the extractor fan - a with L, N, and SL terminals

I dont know how to feed these with the wires on hand. I have black neutral to the FCU, red live to FCU and earth to FCU.

What do I need to do?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
First you need to decided if your having a switch that is usable I'm assuming the FCU is to isolate the whole circuit and not a switch in which case take Neutral Live and Earth to another switch and take a the switch live from the switch probably marked L1 and live from the Com so thier is always a live wire

Sponsored Links
Peterduckett

Sorry, to clarify - I have a switch outside bathroom for the fan the FCU was an extra precaution whether right or wrong. The fan would be isolated by the switched FCU but I am struggling to understand how the wiring goes from FCU to the fan. Do I need another live from the junction box to the FCU and hence fan.

Getting a spark in is problematic but maybe the be answer - welcome advise

A fan tends to do one of these:-

Works in tandem with the lights, goes on with the lights and off with the lights.

Works in tandem with the lights, but with timed overrun when the lights are turned off.

Works independently of the lights simple on or off

Works independently of the lights, switching controlled by a humidity sensor.

What would you like the fan to do ?

If the fan only switches on from outside via the spur switch your need to leave the bathroom ever time you create a smell or condensation issue.
Having the switch outside means others could turn it on / off when someone is in the room.

Using your minds eye and the info I've provided what do you want to achieve and what type of fan do you intend to use ?

I asked a simular question in this thread

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1378893#1378893

BAS draw a really helpful diagram near the bottom which work like this:

1: Twin and Earth From Loop lighting to FCU this provided full isolation of the circuit.
2: Twin and Earth to a pull switch inside the bathroom so i could turn it on when I wanted not just when the light was on.
3: From the switch I fed a triple and earth from to the extractor fan the earth and neutral connected in the switch directly to the twin and earth the SW was wired into the switch where the permanent live was wired the other side of the switch

This allowed it to have an humidistat and a separate override switch while adhering to the fitting instruction to have it fused

peterduckett and others

I am still stupid I think. Hence I have drawn my idiots diagram of the problem/challenge I have. I am unsure how to affect the wiring of thre FCU to the fan and hope this makes for an easier conversation.

Sorry - am a competant DIYer but am confused over the many options.

Appreciate any comments/suggestions on attachment.
Thanks to all View media item 17563

The answer is what TTC posted above.
Get rid of the FCU - it isn't needed and is just making this far more complex than it needs to be.

You need a 3 core and earth cable from the junction box, to a 3 pole fan isolator, and then to the fan.
Or even do away with the isolator and wire directly from the junction box to the fan.

If the manufacturers instructions refer to an FCU, burn the instructions.

All

Thanks for everyones pointers and advice. Eventually the penny dropped and I acquire some 3 core and earth and routed this from the JBox to the timed fan via a 3 pole fan isolator switch. Again this is controlled by a separate switch next to the bathroom lights switch, thus allowing fan to be independent from lights.

Great site and great and friendly advice.

Job done as Ramsey would say!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back