Bathroom extractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning to put a silent inline extractor fan in my ensuite and ask the following.

For regulations does it need to be on a timer??
I have 2 downlighters above the washhandbasin, the down lighters may not always be the light i would put on when using the bathroom, but would instinctively put on when using the shower or using the washhandbasin, therefore plan to wire from lights via 2pole isolator to fan.

am i missing something??

Sponsored Links
For regulations does it need to be on a timer??
No, but the reason they are so common it that it is useful for them to run on for a while after you've finished using the shower. The alternative is to leave it on and remember to return later to turn in off.

I have 2 downlighters above the washhandbasin, the down lighters may not always be the light i would put on when using the bathroom, but would instinctively put on when using the shower or using the washhandbasin, therefore plan to wire from lights via 2pole isolator to fan.
Why an isolator?

Do you need the fan to come on if you only wash your hands, clean your teeth, etc?

What sort of shower do you have?

Better to use an entirely separate switch. Do you really want the fan running for 10, 15 minutes or whatever if you just use those lights when going into the bathroom for a moment at night?

Sponsored Links
opinions differ. En-suite bathrooms are a source of much condensation, damp and mould, and some people grumble about odours.

If there is a separate switch the fan will be used less.

A modern inline fan is extremely quiet, which removes one of the excuses used by people with an aversion to ventilation.

En-suite bathrooms are a source of much condensation, damp and mould, and some people grumble about odours.
If there is a fan then there is a way to minimise all of those.

If there is a separate switch the fan will be used less.
Only if operated by idiots.

A modern inline fan is extremely quiet, which removes one of the excuses used by people with an aversion to ventilation.
I still question the wisdom of installing a system which guarantees that an appliance will operate when there is no need.

2 pole isolator to isolate the fan from the electrical supply for replacement, maintainance (de fluffing)
wish the "silent" fan to not come on if i turn the main bathroom light on, so if having a pee in the night no fan would come on!, for morning ablutions i would turn the sink lights on and if running hot water (steam) extractor would be running. also if using shower would turn sink lights on, we usually have a bit of time drying ect before leaving the bathroom so on leaving the room with turn of sink lights and fan also.

this does sound reasonable, dosent it!!

2 pole isolator to isolate the fan from the electrical supply for replacement, maintainance (de fluffing)
wish the "silent" fan to not come on if i turn the main bathroom light on,
Replace the switch for that light with a DP one?

so if having a pee in the night no fan would come on!, for morning ablutions i would turn the sink lights on and if running hot water (steam) extractor would be running. also if using shower would turn sink lights on, we usually have a bit of time drying ect before leaving the bathroom so on leaving the room with turn of sink lights and fan also.

this does sound reasonable, dosent it!!
It sounds like you have a way to turn the fan on when you think it is needed, and for it not to come on when you don't want it. So I'm not sure why you are so averse to having an overrun timer.

not fully adverse, it as been 1st fixed for specific fan that i have sourced greenwood SRD100 (its an inline fan that will be in the roof void but the only access will be through the 150mm diffuser. this is the only fan i can replace through a 150mm hole, and at the time i could only see a basic fan, i can now though see a timed version, but not fussed about a timed overun.

the 2 pole isolating switch is also 1st fixed above the door as you enter the ensuite. the swich for the en suite is a three gang turning bathroom, washhandbasin (fan) and one of the 2 wayys for the bedroom wall lights.

My concern was this buisness of overun timer needed for regulations.

Only if operated by idiots.

Here on Earth, there are a lot of people who have an aversion to ventilation and refuse to open windows or turn on extractor fans.

These people often suffer damp, condensation and mould.

Perhaps your planet is different.

Here on Earth, there are a lot of people who have an aversion to ventilation and refuse to open windows or turn on extractor fans.
Perhaps so, but if they can't be bothered to switch the fan on, isn't that their problem? Should the light switch also operate an actuator to open the window as well?

How about a plan with a contingency?

Install an overrun fan with wiring to support that, but initially connect it without the overrun.

Then if in practice this turns out to be inadequate it would be a matter of minutes to enable it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back