Bathroom extractor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone ever seen something like this before

two bathrooms each have one of these humidity sensors on the ceiling and a manual override switch. All connected up to a single extractor unit in the loft.

Currently doing one of the bathrooms so looking to replace this set up in the said room.

Anyone know if its possible to disconnect/remove the sensor device and only have the manual on off switch for the fan?

Sponsored Links
Yes you can, the fan is driven by a motor and you can wire up the motor to be switched on and off by whatever device or devices you choose. There is nothing to stop you wiring the fan motor so that it is only controlled by a switch.

But in my mind it would be a backward step. At the moment the sensors will automatically control the fan so that it operates until the humidity sensor detects that no further ventilation is required, so you can shower, leave home and the sensors will automatically run the fan and switch it off in your absence. The extraction will be automatically controlled to the correct level. With a manual switch it's all down to you to turn it on and off. As I see it, it would be like removing the room thermostat from a central heating system and manually turning the heating on and off as you felt warm or cool. But why would you, the thermostat maintains the correct temperature for you automatically even when you weren't physically present.

Cheers.
Just wanted to get rid of the 80s looking components really.
If im able to find something newer that offers the same function and is compatible with the existing motor then ill look into replacing it with that.

.... But in my mind it would be a backward step. At the moment the sensors will automatically control the fan so that it operates until the humidity sensor detects that no further ventilation is required, so you can shower, leave home and the sensors will automatically run the fan and switch it off in your absence. The extraction will be automatically controlled to the correct level. With a manual switch it's all down to you to turn it on and off.
All very true in theory, but I wonder if you have actually seen a humidistat-controlled fan which really works as one would like - it may just be limited experience (or maybe just bad luck) on my part, but I don't think that I personally have.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
My bathroom fan is controlled by a PIR sensor with a 'run on' timer. That way the fan is triggered when anyone enters the bathroom be it for a shower, or er.......something else. If you fitted one in each bathroom then the fan would work with either.
Indeed, and provided that the run-on period is long enough, that may well serve the purpose. Even if the occupant says still enough in bath or shower for longer than the timer period (which my daughters were once well capable of!), the PIR will presumably get re-triggered (hence a new timer period) when they get out of the bath or shower.

Kind Regards, John

My bathroom fan is controlled by a PIR sensor with a 'run on' timer. That way the fan is triggered when anyone enters the bathroom be it for a shower, or er.......something else.

If you fitted one in each bathroom then the fan would work with either.
cheers, I managed to disconnect the it this morning so its only on the manual switch at the moment.

Will look into the idea of the pir as a means of auto switching as i go about re refurbing the room

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back