Unknown switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently redoing my en suite and have a fused switch outside the room which I cant work what it is for (or was for) Also wanting to find out if it can be used as part of my renovation to supply a washlet.

It was there when i moved in, was switched off and had no fuse fitted. It has been that way ever since and everything in the house worked as normal.

here it is.....

It appears that the previous owners had a replacement shower pump fitted at some point which has its power supply coming from an fcu in the hot water cylinder cupboard. Not sure if this was something to do with an old shower pump.
The wires remain live if i switch off the fcu for the new shower pump, so i dont think they're connected

Ive tried fitting a fuse and switching it on an off to see if it does anything but nothing happens.

All Ive been able to work out is that both sets of cables going into it are live and they are on the circuit for the upstairs sockets and that both cables appear to come from the ground floor. (i could only trace them back as far as to where they come up through the floor)

Other than that, there are no obvious unused cable runs or holes anywhere near the switch.

Anyone have any ideas on what's going on with it and why it still has a pair of live cables going to it?

Sponsored Links
There looks like there is no cables in the output terminals, therefore it likely is not in use.
The cables in the supply terminals are part of the Upstairs ring

There looks like there is no cables in the output terminals, therefore it likely is not in use.
The cables in the supply terminals are part of the Upstairs ring

Cheers that sound promising.

Does that mean it could potentially be re used if i wanted to connect something else up to it?

Sponsored Links
Do not see why not, looks like plasterboard, so providing the cable stays in the vertical Zone, you could if it helps cut in a box lower down and refit the same Fcu or even a socket if needbe

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back